'Nasty' Harry and Meghan newspaper cover story slammed

Kristine Tarbert
·Senior Lifestyle & Entertainment Producer
·4-min read

As Meghan Markle and Prince Harry announce the happy news they are expecting another baby together, a UK tabloid newspaper has been blasted online for the 'nasty' way it has shared the story.

The cover of Monday's edition of the Daily Star has blown up on social media after using the headline, "Publicity-shy woman tells 7.69bn people: 'I'm pregnant'", while covering the Sussexes faces with black bars.

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry happy
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry expecting their second child. Photo: AP

BBC News editor Allie Hodgkins-Brown shared a photo of the cover on Twitter, in which Meghan was called a "shy woman" and Harry was referred to as her "ginger beau".

The caption on the image also labelled the pair as a "totally normal couple doing normal things", while also pointing out the photo they chose to announce the news resembled "scenes that could have been straight from a romcom".

Within a few hours the tweet and cover image had gone viral, with people slamming the move as "nasty" and "disgusting".

The Daily Star harry and meghan baby news cover
The Daily Star's cover has been slammed online. Photo: Twitter

"This is utter nastiness," one person wrote. "Either say something nice or just don't say anything at all. Why the need to be this awful? She had a miscarriage and is now celebrating a new pregnancy. Leave them both alone."

Another called it a "disgusting take", adding: "she had a miscarriage and now she announces on her terms - this is privacy!"

"Really nasty at a happy time in their lives. They lost a baby in July. Such bitterness," was another response.

While a fourth called it: "Unnecessarily cruel on every level."

RELATED:

The cover did receive some support, though it was minimal, with one person writing: "As ever, the Star tells it better than we ever could."

While another agreed: "Yes prepared publicity (movie like) shot from the people that crave privacy, she’ll do anything to get herself in the papers."

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle
Harry and Meghan shared a sweet photo to announce their baby news. Photo: Getty

Harry and Meghan chose Valentine's Day (US time) to share the exciting news they were expecting a baby.

They shared a stunning black and white photo taken in the gardens of their Californian mansion, in which Harry can be seen resting his hand on Meghan's head as she lies in his lap cradling her bump.

The baby will be their second child after welcoming Archie on the 6 May 2019, and will also be what's commonly referred to as a 'rainbow baby', the first baby after their tragic miscarriage last year. Sad news the Duchess of Sussex shared in July 2020 in a deeply personal article for the New York Times.

The baby news comes after Meghan won her High Court case against another UK publisher, over the "unlawful" publishing of parts of a letter she wrote to her father, Thomas Markle Snr, after her wedding to Prince Harry.

Meghan released an emotional statement after a judge agreed with her last week that publishing the "private and personal" letter breached her privacy and copyright.

"For these outlets, it’s a game. For me and so many others, it’s real life, real relationships, and very real sadness. The damage they have done and continue to do runs deep," the Duchess of Sussex said in a statement.

"The world needs reliable, fact-checked, high-quality news. What The Mail on Sunday and its partner publications do is the opposite."

She said "we all lose when misinformation sells", but added "for today, we have all won".

"I share this victory with each of you – because we all deserve justice and truth, and we all deserve better.

"I particularly want to thank my husband, mom, and legal team, and especially Jenny Afia for her unrelenting support throughout this process," she concluded.

Never miss a thing. Sign up to Yahoo Lifestyle’s daily newsletter.

Or if you have a story idea, email us at lifestyle.tips@verizonmedia.com.