Buckingham Palace source denies Meghan's birth cert claims

Sarah Carty
·Lifestyle Editor
·2-min read

Buckingham Palace has hit back at Meghan Markle’s statement which claimed a name change on Archie’s birth certificate was dictated by the palace.

A month after Archie’s birth in 2019, Meghan’s first names ‘Rachel Meghan’ were removed from his birth certificate to leave ‘Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Sussex’.

Britain's Prince Harry and his wife Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, holding their son Archie, meet Archbishop Desmond Tutu
Buckingham Palace has denied Meghan's claims they changed Archie's birth certificate. Photo: Getty Images

On Monday, a spokesperson for Meghan told Page Six: “The change of name on public documents in 2019 was dictated by The Palace, as confirmed by documents from senior Palace officials.”

However, now a source inside the palace has refused the claims to the MailOnline.

RELATED:

Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex meet members of the public during a visit of Birkenhead at Hamilton Square on January 14, 2019 in Birkenhead, UK.
The Duchess of Sussex's first names 'Rachel Meghan' were removed from Archie's birth certificate. Photo: Getty Images

“The certificate was changed by the former office of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. It was changed to ensure consistency of the name and title of the Duchess with other private documents”.

Another insider told The Telegraph that the changes were made by the Sussexes US team and something has been “lost in translation”.

“These are civil documents, there is no protocol,” a source said.

 Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, Prince William, Duke of Cambridge and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge watch a flypast to mark the centenary of the Royal Air Force from the balcony of Buckingham Palace on July 10, 2018 in London, England. The 100th birthday of the RAF, which was founded on on 1 April 1918, was marked with a centenary parade with the presentation of a new Queen's Colour and flypast of 100 aircraft over Buckingham Palace.
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry quit their roles as senior royals in 2020. Photo: Getty Images

British socialite and writer Lady Colin Campbell was the first one who spotted the amendment, telling The Sun the change was “extraordinary”.

“[It] raises all kinds of questions about what the Sussexes were thinking.”

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle quit their roles as senior royals in the royal family last year and have since settled in the US.

It’s been a tumultuous month for the duchess, with her half-sister, Samantha Markle, releasing her new book, The Diary of Princess Pushy's Sister Part 1.

"There is something in it for everyone. It has been an interesting journey," Samantha told The Sun.

"It deals with my life and my perspective on several issues in the road as they intersect with this royal event in history."

Never miss a thing. Sign up to Yahoo Lifestyle’s daily newsletter .

Or if you have a story idea, email us at lifestyle.tips@verizonmedia.com.