Prince Charles 'out' of coronavirus quarantine as Camilla remains in self-isolation

Lifestyle Team
·3-min read
Prince Charles and his wife, Camilla, (pictured on March 4) will remain separate despite the future king being cleared to leave quarantine. Photo: Getty Images.
Prince Charles and Camilla, (pictured on March 4) will remain separate despite the future king leaving quarantine. Photo: Getty Images.

Prince Charles has ended his seven-day period of self-isolation after last week testing positive for coronavirus, officials revealed on Monday.

“Clarence House has confirmed today that, having consulted with his doctor, the Prince of Wales is now out of self-isolation,” read a statement.

Prince Charles in ‘good health’

The heir to the British throne, 71, was confirmed as having contracted COVID-19 last Tuesday when he took a test in Aberdeenshire, Scotland.

He and his wife Camilla, 72, had arrived at Birkhall, their summer retreat on the Queen’s Balmoral estate, on Sunday 22 March, and as he experienced ‘mild symptoms’ they were both tested for the virus.

He was confirmed to have it while Camilla tested negative, and the husband and wife began self-isolating separately in different parts of their home.

It’s understood that Charles has since made a full recovery and sources close to him say he is in “good health,” according to People.

LONDON, ENGLAND - MARCH 10: Prince Charles, Prince of Wales attends the WaterAid water and climate event at Kings Place on March 10, 2020 in London, England.  The Prince of Wales has been President of WaterAid since 1991. (Photo by Tim P. Whitby - WPA Pool/Getty Images)
Prince Charles is now out of self-isolation, Clarence House has said. (Getty Images)

Why is Camilla still in self-isolation?

Despite her husband being given the all-clear to end quarantine, the Duchess of Cornwall will continue to self-isolate until she reaches the 14-day recommendation.

According to UK government guidelines, those who get symptoms of coronavirus, which can include a fever, cough and loss of taste and smell, should self-isolate for seven days.

The guidance also states a whole household should isolate for two weeks if one person gets symptoms.

Camilla 'claps for carers' from the window at Birkhall, Scotland, where she remains in self-isolation after Charles' COVID-19 diagnosis. Photo: Instagram/clarencehouse.
Camilla 'claps for UK healthcare workers' from the window at Birkhall, Scotland, where she remains in self-isolation after Charles' COVID-19 diagnosis. Photo: Instagram/clarencehouse.

Prince ‘not bedridden’

Charles was reported to have been working and in ‘good spirits’ throughout his period of self-isolation, at his desk in Birkhall on the Balmoral estate.

He was not bedridden and conducted meetings by telephone, including one with former UK Labour leadership candidate David Miliband.

Miliband is now president and chief executive of the International Rescue Committee (IRC), and Charles is a patron of the IRC’s UK arm.

He told Sky News last Thursday: “I had a scheduled call with the Prince of Wales yesterday. Obviously getting the news in the morning of his coronavirus situation made me wonder whether he would postpone but he went ahead with the call.

“He was in very good spirits – he was obviously very engaged with the situation facing people in the UK.”

LONDON, ENGLAND - MARCH 09: Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Charles, Prince of Wales attend the Commonwealth Day Service 2020 on March 9, 2020 in London, England. (Photo by Phil Harris - WPA Pool/Getty Images)
Prince Charles was with the Royal Family on 9 March for the Commonwealth Day service. (Getty Images)

Royal testing backlash

Officials in Scotland defended the decision to test the heir to the throne at a time when frontline NHS staff were not yet being routinely tested.

The UK’s chief medical officer said Charles was tested because he met the criteria, saying it was for ‘clinical reasons’.

There have been concerns about the Queen’s health but she is reported to be unaffected, having not seen her son since March 12, a day before his doctor estimates he became contagious.

LONDON, ENGLAND - MARCH 18: Queen Elizabeth II receives Commodore Steven Moorhouse (centre, outgoing Commanding Officer, HMS Queen Elizabeth) and Captain Angus Essenhigh (incoming Commanding Officer), during a private audience in the Queens Private Audience Room in Buckingham Palace on March 18, 2020 in London, England. (Photo by Yui Mok - WPA Pool/Getty Images)
The Queen avoided shaking hands in her final public engagement. (Getty Images)

Royal events cancelled

The royal family is following government guidance on coronavirus, with Charles continuing to work from home as is his son, Prince William, and daughter-in-law, Kate Middleton from their home, Anmer Hall.

The Cambridge’s children, six-year-old Prince George and Princess Charlotte, 4, have reportedly been removed from their elite South London private school and have begun home-schooling.

Most royal engagements have been cancelled or postponed for the foreseeable future including Prince Harry’s Invictus Games, originally planned for May, and June’s Trooping the Colour.

Buckingham Palace confirming on Friday that the annual event would not go ahead in the traditional way, but plans are being made to mark the Queen’s 94th birthday.

Additional reporting by Rebecca Taylor.

Got a story tip or just want to get in touch? Email us at lifestyle.tips@verizonmedia.com