Royals respond to coronavirus: Prince George and Princess Charlotte to begin homeschooling

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·2-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM - SEPTEMBER 5: Princess Charlotte arrives for her first day of school, with her brother Prince George and her parents the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, at Thomas's Battersea in London on September 5, 2019 in London, England. (Photo by Aaron Chown - WPA Pool/Getty Images)
Princess Charlotte and Prince George will be homeschooled from Monday. Photo: Getty Images

It looks like Prince George and Princess Charlotte are to be homeschooled as the coronavirus pandemic sweeps through the UK.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s eldest two will be switching to remote learning for the foreseeable future, with Kensington Palace set to replace the classroom’s of their elite South London private school.

The announcement was made by Thomas's Battersea, Charlotte and George’s school, who say they have moved all classes online as of Friday, and will be encouraging parents to keep children home.

"Due to the increasing numbers of children and staff being absent from school due to the Coronavirus situation, Thomas's London Day Schools have decided to move to remote learning from Friday 20 March,” a spokesperson told The Sun Online:

LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM - SEPTEMBER 5: Princess Charlotte, with by her father, the Duke of Cambridge, and mother, the Duchess of Cambridge and Prince George, arriving for her first day of school at Thomas's Battersea in London on September 5, 2019 in London, England. (Photo by Aaron Chown - WPA Pool/Getty Images)
Thomas Batterseas's School is moving classes online from Friday. Photo: Getty Images

“From this date, the curriculum will be taught through online learning platforms and we have asked parents to keep their children at home and to access their lessons through this system.

“This will ensure that children have continuity of learning when they are unable to attend school.”

However, the educational facility - which charges $22,000 a year - will be keeping its doors open until the Easter holidays for those families who are not able to look after their kids during working hours.

“In cases where families are not in a position to keep their children at home (such as those who are 'front line staff' in the medical profession, for example), the school will remain physically open until the last day of term, Thursday, 26th March,” the statement continued.

“We appreciate the support of our school community as we continue to provide the best possible solution for our pupils during these challenging times.”

George, six, is in his second year at the school, while four-year-old Charlotte started Reception in September last year.

Royal family responds to coronavirus

The royal wedding date of the marriage of Princess Beatrice of York to Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi is changed amid coronavirus concerns
Princess Beatrice and fiance Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi have made drastic changes to their wedding plans. Photo: Getty Images

The latest update from the royal family comes after Princess Beatrice was forced to cancel her royal wedding due to the danger of transmitting the virus, instead opting for a private ceremony with just a chaplain and her fiance, a source says.

Prince Harry is also said to be concerned for his grandmother Queen Elizabeth. He is said to be self-isolating in his new Candian home with wife Meghan and baby Archie.

Reporting by Bang! Showbiz

Got a story tip or just want to get in touch? Email us at lifestyle.tips@verizonmedia.com.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting