A royal source has claimed Prince Charles met with his mother, 93-year-old Queen Elizabeth, just 13 days ago, after news broke last night that the 71-year-old heir to the throne has the coronavirus.
"The Prince of Wales has tested positive for Coronavirus. He has been displaying mild symptoms but otherwise remains in good health and has been working from home throughout the last few days as usual," Clarence House said on Wednesday.
"It is not possible to ascertain from whom the Prince caught the virus owing to the high number of engagements he carried out in his public role during recent weeks."
Clarence House confirmed his wife, Camilla tested negative for COVID-19.
According to reports, a Buckingham Palace spokesperson said the Queen last saw her eldest son after the investiture on the morning of March 12 and she “remains in good health”.
They went on to say the Queen is “following all the appropriate advice with regard to her welfare.”
A royal source told the Daily Mail that Charles' doctor's most conservative estimate was that the prince was contagious on March 13, which was 24 hours after his meeting with the Queen.
News of Prince Charles’ positive test comes just after it was revealed a Buckingham Palace royal aide reportedly tested positive for COVID-19 while the Queen was still living there.
“The worker tested positive before the Queen left for Windsor. But the Palace has 500 members of staff so, like any workplace, it’s not inconceivable it would be affected in some stage,” a source told The Sun.
The staff member is believed to be recovering well from COVID-19 and other aides who worked closely with them have put themselves in self-isolation. It comes as the palace had already announced the Queen was cancelling her upcoming travel plans, with other members of the royal family also postponing royal engagements.
The monarch was due to travel to Cheshire and Camden later this month, but due to the ongoing spread of the virus, has postponed the trips.
“As a sensible precaution and for practical reasons in the current circumstances, changes are being made to The Queen’s diary commitments in the coming weeks,” a press release from Buckingham Palace read.
“In consultation with the Medical Household and Government, Her Majesty’s forthcoming visits to Cheshire and Camden will be rescheduled. Audiences will continue as usual. Other events will be reviewed on an ongoing basis in line with the appropriate advice.”
Got a story tip or just want to get in touch? Email us at email@example.com.