Buckingham Palace in 'lockdown' after security threat

A man was arrested after throwing suspected shotgun cartridges over the Buckingham Palace gates.

·2-min read

A man has been arrested outside Buckingham Palace for throwing what police believe were shotgun cartridges as officers carried out a controlled explosion in the area days before King Charles' coronation ceremony.

Police said the man had approached Buckingham Palace gates and thrown items, suspected to be shotgun cartridges, into the palace grounds before being detained by officers on Tuesday.

Buckingham Palace
Buckingham Palace is in lockdown after a man was arrested for throwing what police believe were shotgun cartridges over the gates. Photo: Getty

International and British media were evacuated from the area amid the security scare, news.com.au reports.

British politician Jacob Rees-Mogg told GB News he was in the area when it happened and was waiting to go on-air to chat about the coronation, "People came to us using yellow tabards to say there was an incident and we all had to go. Just an element, of I fear, not ‘keep calm and carry on’ [but] ‘let’s hustle and bustle’."

GB News’ Head of Programming, Ben Briscoe also added, "There was definitely a very, very loud explosion."

RELATED:

"As it stands the Palace and the surrounding areas are in total lockdown and it doesn’t look like it is going to be lifted anytime soon."

"The man has been arrested on suspicion of possession of an offensive weapon after he was searched and a knife was found," London's Metropolitan Police said in a statement.

The statement said police were not currently treating the matter as related to terrorism.

Police at the scene outside Buckingham Palace
Police at the scene outside Buckingham Palace after a man was arrested and a subsequent controlled explosion was carried out. Photo: Getty

Police and security services are preparing for King Charles' coronation on Saturday, which is expected to draw large crowds along the streets of London as heads of state from around the world attend the formal ceremony.

Buckingham Palace said neither the king nor his wife Camilla were at the palace at the time of the incident.

The statement said specialists had conducted a controlled explosion as a precaution.

SHOP:

Cordons had been put in place after the man was found to have a suspicious bag but have been removed.

"There have been no reports of any shots fired, or any injuries to officers or members of the public," Chief Superintendent Joseph McDonald said.

In 2016, an unarmed man was arrested on the grounds of Buckingham Palace after scaling a perimeter wall.

In 2021, a man was arrested at Windsor Castle on Christmas Day wearing a mask and holding a crossbow.

With AAP.

Never miss a thing. Sign up to Yahoo Lifestyle’s daily newsletter.

Or if you have a story idea, email us at lifestyle.tips@yahooinc.com.