Royals panicking over unseen footage from Harry's Oprah interview

Marni Dixit
·Lifestyle & Entertainment Producer
·3-min read

The royals are reportedly in a panic over the more than 90 minutes of unseen footage from Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's interview with Oprah Winfrey.

The UK's ITV wants to show the unaired footage from the interview with palace aides fearing it could be further damaging for the royal family.

The Royal Family stand on a balcony
The royals are reportedly panicking over unseen footage from Harry and Meghan's interview with Oprah being released. Photo: Getty

"There is a lot of interest in showing the interview in full," a source told the Sunday People.

"The original programme was the biggest show of the year so far in the UK and was bought by firms around the world.

"Showing more of it would be a guaranteed ratings winner.

RELATED

"Oprah’s production company know they’re sitting on a goldmine so it’s possible a deal could be done."

It's believed ITV paid £1million ($1.8m AUD), but this was only for what was covered in the part that aired in the US. The interview was syndicated to 70 countries, earning millions of dollars, but the couple were not paid.

The full interview went for three hours and 20 minutes, with only one hour and 25 minutes airing on TV.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle with Oprah Winfrey
There is currently around 90 minutes of unseen footage of Harry and Meghan's interview with Oprah. Photo: CBS

It comes as courtiers try to organise peace talks between Harry and Prince William before they come together to unveil a statue for their mother Princess Diana in July.

According to The Sunday Times, the brothers are not on good terms at the moment, with William reportedly furious over Harry's "disrespectful" move towards the Queen before leaving the royal family.

"What upset William the most was Harry and Meghan’s surprise launch of their 'Sussex Royal' website before the summit, which featured their blueprint wish of a part-time, commercial royal future," they wrote.

The Queen told the couple they could no longer use 'royal' in their private ventures, with the pair reportedly hitting back in a statement that read, "There is not any jurisdiction by The Monarchy … over the use of the word 'Royal' overseas."

Prince Harry and Prince William before the royal wedding
William is reportedly furious over Harry's 'disrespectful' move towards the Queen before leaving the royal family. Photo: Getty

"That was it for William, he felt they’d blindsided the Queen in such an insulting and disrespectful way," the insider claimed.

Another source told the publication that William "definitely feels the pressure now it’s all on him – his future looks different because of his brother’s choices, it’s not easy".

Friends of William told the Sunday Times his "head is all over the place" and he's still reeling from the couple's shock revelations, including claims a senior royal raised concerns over the couple's son Archie's skin colour.

However, they added the situation is still "raw" and William wants to repair his relationship with Harry "in time".

It comes after Gayle King claimed Harry and William had finally spoken after the Oprah interview, but the "conversations were not productive".

Never miss a thing. Sign up to Yahoo Lifestyle’s daily newsletter .

Or if you have a story idea, email us at lifestyle.tips@verizonmedia.com.