Major cancellation sparks new fears for Queen amid Covid battle

·Features and Health Editor
·2-min read

The Queen has cancelled a major event at Windsor Castle as she continues to battle Covid-19, after testing positive last week.

The 95-year-old monarch was said to be 'already' recovering, however officials have cancelled the annual event on Wednesday, which hundreds of foreign diplomats were supposed to attend.

queen
The Queen has cancelled a major event amid ongoing health battle. Photo: Getty

According to Buckingham Palace, the annual Diplomatic Reception at Windsor Castle has been postponed on advice from Foreign Secretary, Liz Truss.

"The Queen has accepted the Foreign Secretary’s advice that the Diplomatic Reception at Windsor on Wednesday 2nd March should be postponed," a statement from the palace read.

The Diplomatic Reception is usually held at Buckingham Palace but was moved to nearby Windsor Castle this year. Her Majesty was due to meet with up to 500 of members of the Diplomatic Corps from 130 different countries.

RELATED:

The Queen, who was said to have 'mild' symptoms of the virus, had cancelled several virtual meetings last week, however reports suggest the postponement of this event is not health related, but is due to “circumstances in the Ukraine”.

Indeed, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge posted a rare political tweet airing their support for Ukraine, amid ongoing attacks from Russia.

prince william and kate middleton
William and Kate have shared their support for Ukraine in a rare political tweet. Photo: Getty

"In October 2020 we had the privilege to meet President Zelenskyy and the First Lady to learn of their hope and optimism for Ukraine’s future," Prince William and Kate Middleton said in a statement on their official Twitter account.

"Today we stand with the President and all of Ukraine’s people as they bravely fight for that future."

Princess Anne, 71, left Windsor Castle this week after spending two days there, which sources believe is a good sign of the Queen's health.

The Queen has a number of high-profile engagements coming up including the Commonwealth Service at Westminster Abbey on March 14 and then the Duke of Edinburgh's memorial service on March 29.

Her Majesty contracted Covid after spending a few hours with her son Prince Charles on February 8, two days before he tested positive for the virus.

Charles has since recovered, with his wife Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, also testing positive soon after.

Never miss a thing. Sign up to Yahoo Lifestyle’s daily newsletter.

Or if you have a story idea, email us at lifestyle.tips@yahooinc.com.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting