A royal expert has weighed in on Prince Charles' visit to his father's bedside this week, with a rather sombre prediction of what was discussed between father and son.
The 99-year-old was taken to hospital as a "precautionary measure" on February 18 after "feeling unwell", where he has remained for almost two weeks – his longest stay in hospital so far.
It wasn't until this weekend that the Prince's eldest son, Prince Charles paid him a visit at King Edward VII’s Hospital in London, a move a royal expert says was likely prompted by Philip himself.
Dickie Arbiter, who served as the Queen's press secretary between 1988 and 2000, today claimed the Duke of Edinburgh would’ve “requested” his son’s visit.
“I think it was at the request of the Duke that the Prince of Wales visited,” Dicki told TV program The Royal Beat.
Though Dicki believes Philip will emerge in fine form from his current hospitalisation, he states the pair likely discussed what would happen if that wasn't the case.
“To lay the ground. Look the man is 99, he is in with an infection," he pointed out. "My guess is that he will come out, he will walk out and he will go back to Windsor, but eventually he is going to die and he was just saying to Charles, ‘One day you are going to be the leading man of the family.”
Buckingham Palace on Wednesday revealed the cause of Prince Philip's hospitalisation.
"The Duke of Edinburgh remains at King Edward VII’s Hospital where he is receiving medical attention for an infection," the palace said in a statement shared with HuffPost.
"He is comfortable and responding to treatment but is not expected to leave hospital for several days."
Sources close to the palace had previously shared Philip's illness was not Covid related with both the Prince and the Queen receiving their first vaccines in January.
The latest comes after a rough few weeks for the British royals, between Philip's health battle and Harry and Meghan's explosive interview with Oprah Winfrey set to air next week.
Today, the world was given its first glimpse of the exclusive tell-all with Oprah, after a preview trailer for the CBS interview, which aired in the US on Sunday night during an ad break, was released.
In the trailer, Oprah says "you've said some pretty shocking things here" and asks Meghan if she was 'silent or silenced'.
In a second preview clip shared on Twitter, Harry opens up about how "incredibly tough" things were for the couple before leaving the UK.
"For me I'm just incredibly happy and relieved to be sitting here talking to you with my wife by my side," Harry says, while holding Meghan's hand.
"Because I can't begin to imagine what it must have been like for her [referring to his mother Diana] going through this process by herself."
Never miss a thing. Sign up to Yahoo Lifestyle’s daily newsletter.
Or if you have a story idea, email us at email@example.com.