She’s only officially been a royal for six months, but Meghan Markle has already put her own stamp on the establishment with her bold fashion and decision to ditch traditional protocol.
While the Duchess of Sussex has certainly become a popular with the public, behind-closed-doors it may be a whole different story.
Meghan Markle has ‘ripped up the rule book’
The 37-year-old has reportedly “ripped up the rule book” when it comes to traditions in the royal family.
This includes “bombarding” aides with text messages after her daily routine of waking up at 5am, according the Mail on Sunday.
An alleged royal insider claims she messages aides up to seven times a day with ideas about her role, and is so enthusiastic that she’s been organising a number of “undercover” missions to meet members of the British public who are associated with “good causes”.
Three royal aides have quit since wedding
The claims emerged after last week’s report that Prince Harry and Meghan lost their third close palace aide since the royal wedding in May.
The most recent aide to quit was Meghan’s personal assistant, Melissa.
The news of her departure has reportedly rocked the royal office with a source confirming to the Daily Mail, it was a “real shock”.
While Kensington Palace has declined to comment on the reports, the insider did pay tribute to the PA.
“Melissa is a hugely talented person,” the source says. “She played a pivotal role in the success of the Royal Wedding and will be missed by everyone in the Royal Household.”
However, Melissa isn’t the only one choosing to step down from her position – the royal couple’s private secretary Samantha Cohen is also preparing to quit her role.
Deemed one of the Queen’s “most trusted” staffers, the 49-year-old Aussie was transferred from Buckingham Palace to Kensington Palace where the newlyweds reside to assist Meghan with her royal duties.
It’s believed she was hand-picked for the role of introducing Meghan to the guidelines and protocols of being a royal family member, and helping her transition into her title as Duchess of Sussex.
These two resignations follow on from that of Edward Lane Fox who was essentially Harry’s “right-hand man,” before his recent departure after 15 years in the role.
According to an insider, it’s starting to become an alarming trend that isn’t reflecting too well on the royal couple who have just returned from their Australian tour.
“To lose one member of the household could happen to anyone. To lose three in a few months is starting to look like a stampede.”
Baby Sussex is on the way
To add to things on their royal platter, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are expecting their first child together.
Just hours after the couple arrived in Australia last month, Kensington Palace announced Meghan was pregnant.
Their Royal Highnesses have appreciated all of the support they have received from people around the world since their wedding in May and are delighted to be able to share this happy news with the public.
— Kensington Palace (@KensingtonRoyal) October 15, 2018
“Their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are very pleased to announce that The Duchess of Sussex is expecting a baby in the Spring of 2019,” the palace said in statement on Twitter.
“Their Royal Highnesses have appreciated all of the support they have received from people around the world since their wedding in May and are delighted to be able to share this happy news with the public.”
Got a story tip? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Or sign up to our daily newsletter here.