King Charles may be set to hit back at claims made by Prince Harry in his memoir Spare in a bombshell TV interview, however, the father-of-two has also insisted he wants the Duke of Sussex at his coronation. Talks are reportedly underway between Buckingham Palace and the BBC over a tell-all interview with His Majesty.
The interview would offer Charles the opportunity to share his side of the story after the release of Harry's book and his controversial Netflix series Harry & Meghan, where he and Meghan Markle shared their thoughts on their treatment by the royal family.
The King and Prince William have not yet responded to any of the claims made by the Sussexes, however, The Mirror reports that this may change.
"Plans are already up and running for coronation coverage at the BBC, including the profile on the monarch," an insider told the newspaper. "It is not the done thing to avoid subjects in interviews, so it makes matters tricky. Even one small comment on Harry and Meghan would make worldwide news. It could also prompt a response from Harry, which would be unpredictable, like so much. Everything is very delicate."
Several bombshells were dropped about Charles and Queen Consort Camilla, as well as the Prince and Princess of Wales.
Harry accuses Camilla of leaking stories to the press to improve her image, even at the expense of him and his brother. The Duke of Sussex also wrote that he and William were involved in a physical fight and made mention of a feud between Meghan and Kate.
The BBC is reportedly encouraging Charles have a sit-down interview with them about his life before and after becoming King. The interview would be conducted by Charles' friend Jonathan Dimbleby, with the King considering the proposed interview.
However, he may choose to release his own footage and interview to be used by the media.
"There remains an option for the family to simply produce a coronation speech or content they film and supply," the source added. "It allows control over what is said and would not address the Sussexes."
Royal expert Angela Levin told The Sun she doesn't believe the King will react to any of the claims until after the coronation. She adds that she hopes Harry and Meghan will not attend.
The Mail on Sunday reports the King has asked the Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby to act as the go-between to get Harry to attend the coronation. He was also tasked with trying to help William and Harry end their feud after the Queen's death last year.
William is reportedly worried that Harry and Meghan's attendance will create too much distraction at the coronation.
"The issue of substance is whether they attend the Coronation, and if they do, under what terms and conditions," one source said. "The family is split, and all the indications are that Harry is being advised to agree to nothing at this stage and 'play it long' right up to the last minute, which is making negotiations with him very difficult."
They added, "Harry’s camp made clear that the idea that he would just attend the Coronation and behave himself but then be stripped of his titles was a total non-starter. While he might decide at some point to discard his titles of his own volition, he objects to the idea of being forcibly stripped of them.
"He resents being lumped together with Andrew in the public mind as the two 'problem Princes', when he considers the circumstances to be totally different."
Never miss a thing. Sign up to Yahoo Lifestyle’s daily newsletter.
Or if you have a story idea, email us at email@example.com.