The Block's Sarah-Jane underwent surgery after auctions: 'Going well'
The Block's Sarah-Jane has surprised fans by revealing she underwent surgery soon after the houses went to auction on the reality show earlier this month.
The reality star took to Instagram to reveal she'd undergone a double mastectomy last Thursday after being approved for surgery the day before The Block's auctions.
Sarah-Jane told her followers that the surgery was preventative as she's a BRCA1 gene carrier and had an "85 per cent chance of developing breast cancer" if she didn't get the surgery.
"In my case, my mum got breast cancer for the first time at 36, so really high chance of getting it while I'm still quite young," she shared, revealing she had the preventative surgery at the Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre in Melbourne.
"I'm feeling really good about my decision, it's been a long time in the making, I've been on this waitlist for five plus years," she explained. "And then the day before the Block auction, they called me and they were like, 'We've got a spot for you!' So, I've had all my breast tissue removed, and then, really, really grateful I didn't have to get expanders, my skin was good, they were able to put implants straight in."
The Block 2023 may be 'the worst series yet' for Channel Nine
The Block's Sharon Johal eyes up TV deal with Nine: 'Not surprised'
"But I'm tracking really well, so thanks for all the concerns, I really appreciate it," she added.
In another video, Sarah-Jane showed some of the bruising she had as a result of the surgery, but said she felt good.
"And I do have nipples, for people asking, they were able to save my nipples, not everybody's nipples are salvageable," she added.
In the caption, the reality star also wrote, "As they took all my tissue, they also take some of your nerves, so I have no feeling where my breasts are and just above and below them."
She jokingly added, "I also have no sensation in my nipples, which is OK, I wasn't much into nipple foreplay anyway."
It comes after Sarah-Jane and her husband Tom were caught up in a GoFundMe scam, when a supposed fan set up a page to support the couple after they made just $20,000 in profit from the show, the lowest amount since 2014.
Despite being tipped to win, the couple placed third in the show's finale when their property sold for $4,100,000.99. They revealed on Monday that they now plan on selling the $80,000 Ford Ranger they won on the show last month to try and earn extra money.
Get salon-quality hair at home with this bespoke colouring kit
Win $1000 worth of gorgeous baby essentials for you and a friend
Wine on a keto diet? This range with over 500 five-star reviews is the answer
While the organiser was listed as SJ and Tom, according to So Dramatic!, Sarah-Jane revealed on her personal Instagram account that they didn't start the fundraiser, with the reality star telling her followers, "Hey guys… We just found out that someone has set up a GoFundMe page for us."
"That is not Tom and I. It’s a scam, Channel Nine are trying to work on getting it taken down. It is definitely not us, do not be sucked in."
She continued, saying that they're "grateful for what [they] have", and that the GoFundMe page isn't for them, "It’s to help people that are in really sh**ty situations and that’s just not Tom and I. We're in a good situation. So, not us. Spread the word!"
GoFundMe shared a statement with Yahoo Lifestyle, revealing how they assist in situations like these, "It is not uncommon for Australians to launch fundraisers on behalf of others, often as an act of kindness, and in these cases, all funds are held until we can be sure that they will reach the right place.
Never miss a thing. Sign up to Yahoo Lifestyle’s daily newsletter.
Or if you have a story idea, email us at email@example.com.