Prince Harry sues British newspaper over military allegations

Prince Harry has launched libel action against the publishers of a British tabloid over an article claiming he had not kept in touch with the Royal Marines, according to reports.

The Duke of Sussex, who served in Afghanistan in 2012, and his wife Meghan Markle, the Duchess of Sussex, are already pursuing multiple legal claims.

Prince Harry is suing a newspaper over an article claiming he has not kept in touch with the Royal Marines. Photo: Getty
Prince Harry is suing a newspaper over an article claiming he has not kept in touch with the Royal Marines. Photo: Getty

Harry's legal team filed the latest action against Associated Newspapers Ltd at the High Court late November, the Daily Telegraph and Britain's domestic Press Association news agency reported, without citing sources.

The reports said it related to an October report in the Mail on Sunday in which a senior military commander criticised Harry for an alleged lack of contact.

RELATED

The Telegraph reported that the couple, who now live in the United States with their young son, Archie, have filed six legal claims in just over a year.

Shortly after the story was released, Prince Harry's lawyers issued a legal warning to the Mail on Sunday, saying the claims were "false and defamatory" according to Vanity Fair's royal corresponded Katie Nicholl.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle on Remembrance Day
Prince Harry was particularly angry over the claims as he's been very involved in the military for many years. Photo: Getty

Harry was particularly angry over the claims as he's been involved with the military for many years and even launched the Invictus Games to support wounded veterans.

Meghan is suing Associated Newspapers for breach of privacy and copyright over the publication of a letter she wrote to her estranged father before she married Harry in 2018.

Harry is separately suing British tabloid publishers News Group Newspapers and Mirror Group Newspapers over alleged historical phone hacking.

The Duke of Sussex gave up his honorary military titles, including Captain General of the Royal Marines (a title that was once Prince Philip's), after he and Meghan stepped down from royal duties earlier this year.

Having to give up his military titles as part of the deal was tough for the Prince, who was reportedly "heartbroken" over the loss.

According to Vanity Fair, Harry "has not given up on the military" and has "had many conversations with former colleagues during the lockdown and is in regular contact with a lot of military personnel on a private and personal basis".

He spent a decade in the armed forces and has said he was "born into a life of duty" and committed himself to "a life of service" while in the military.

With AFP.

Never miss a thing. Sign up to Yahoo Lifestyle’s daily newsletter.

Or if you have a story idea, email us at lifestyle.tips@verizonmedia.com.