Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's first Netflix project unveiled

Kristine Tarbert
·Features and Health Editor
·4-min read

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have unveiled their first Netflix series, which will be the first project for Archewell Productions.

Called the Heart of Invictus, it will be a documentary series about the Invictus Games, which Harry set up in 2014, after leaving the armed forces, and remains a cause close to his heart.

"Since the very first Invictus Games back in 2014, we knew that each competitor would contribute in their own exceptional way to a mosaic of resilience, determination, and resolve," Harry said.

"This series will give communities around the world a window into the moving and uplifting stories of these competitors on their path to the Netherlands next year."

RELATED:

The multi-episode series will follow "group of extraordinary competitors from around the globe" as they train for the Invictus Games. 

The competitors will be getting ready for the games in The Hague 2022, which have been rescheduled twice due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, having originally been planned for 2020.

 Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex attend the wheelchair basketball final during the Invictus Games at the Quay Centre on October 27, 2018 in Sydney, Australia. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are on their official 16-day Autumn tour visiting cities in Australia, Fiji, Tonga and New Zealand.
Harry and Meghan during the Invictus Games 2018 in Sydney, Australia. Photo: Getty

"As Archewell Productions’ first series with Netflix, in partnership with the Invictus Games Foundation, I couldn’t be more excited for the journey ahead or prouder of the Invictus community for continuously inspiring global healing, human potential and continued service," Harry continued.

Harry set up the Invictus Games for injured and wounded former service personnel after seeing a similar scheme in the US. There have been several events since then around the world, including in London, Toronto, and Sydney.

The series will be directed by Oscar winners Orlando von Einsiedel and producer Joanna Natasegara, with Harry also appearing on camera during the show as well as being the executive producer.

The Invictus Games Foundation will also be an executive producer with the series providing "significant funding" for the organisation.

"We’re very excited about the opportunity to shine the global spotlight of Netflix on the men and women that we work with, in order to ensure that even more people can be inspired by their determination and fortitude in working towards their recovery," Dominic Reid, chief executive of the Invictus Games Foundation, said.

"This partnership will also bring in significant funding to the charity. We are extremely grateful to our Founding Patron for his continued efforts to support the military community, and for making this partnership happen."

Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex attend the Boston Red Sox vs New York Yankees baseball game at London Stadium on June 29, 2019 in London, England. The game is in support of the Invictus Games Foundation
Harry started the Invictus Games in 2014. Photo: Getty Images

Ted Sarandos, co-CEO and chief content officer of Netflix has said the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are "building an ambitious slate:

"From the moment I met them, it’s been clear that the Invictus Games hold a very special place in their hearts, and I couldn’t be happier that their first series for Netflix will showcase that for the world in a way never seen before," he said.

Meghan and Harry confirmed their deal with Netflix last year in one of the first announcements of their post-royal life.

Since then Harry has already featured in a rare interview with James Corden, filmed rapping and having a great old time with the host of The Late Late Show.

The interview was shot before the Queen stripped Harry and Meghan of their royal patronages, but Harry seemed to know what was coming, saying, "My life is public service, so wherever I am in the world it's going to be the same thing. As far as I'm concerned, whatever decisions are made on that side [in Britain], I will never walk away."

The couple then appeared in their explosive tell-all with Oprah Winfrey, which caused headlines across the world.

Harry and Meghan bared their souls to to give their side of the story of their time as senior royals.

From saying they had been cut off and denied support when they needed it most, to alleging racist comments were made about their unborn child, they used the interview to drop multiple bombshells on the royal family.

Additional reporting by Rebecca Taylor.

Never miss a thing. Sign up to Yahoo Lifestyle’s daily newsletter.

Or if you have a story idea, email us at lifestyle.tips@verizonmedia.com.