Meghan Markle and Prince Harry sign $130 million Netflix deal

Sarah Carty
·Lifestyle Editor
·3-min read

They were adamant they wanted to be financially independent when they announced their departure from their roles as senior members of the royal family and now Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have proved their well capable of that.

The Sussexes have signed a huge multi-year deal with Netflix, thought to be worth $130 million, to create a series of documentaries, films and TV shows for the streaming giant.

Prince Harry, Duhcess of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex attend the Commonwealth Day Service 2020 on March 09, 2020 in London, England.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have signed a deal with Netflix. Photo: Getty Images

It’s believed the shows will be based on issues that resonate with the couple personally and some of the projects are already in development, including a nature docu-series and an animated series celebrating inspiring women.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex said in a statement: “Our lives, both independent of each other, and as a couple have allowed us to understand the power of the human spirit: of courage, resilience, and the need for connection.

“Through our work with diverse communities and their environments, to shining a light on people and causes around the world, our focus will be on creating content that informs but also gives hope.

“As new parents, making inspirational family programming is also important to us, as is powerful storytelling through a truthful and relatable lens.”

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle during an official visit to Sussex on October 3, 2018 in Peacehaven, United Kingdom.  The Duke and Duchess married on May 19th 2018 in Windsor and were conferred The Duke & Duchess of Sussex by The Queen.
The royal couple are already in production with their first project. Photo: Getty Images

Some sources believe Meghan and Harry will use the name “Achewell” for the production company, however that hasn’t been confirmed.

According to The Times, the couple may appear on-screen themselves, however Meghan will not be returning to acting.

As well as documentaries, the couple will produce scripted series, docu-series and features, and are understood to be keen to diversity of voices both in front of and behind the camera.

RELATED:

Ted Sarandos, chief content officer at Netflix, said: “We’re incredibly proud they have chosen Netflix as their creative home and are excited about telling stories with them that can help build resilience and increase understanding for audiences everywhere.”

Prince Harry made his Netflix debut in August in a documentary called Rising Phoenix, which told the story of the Paralympic Games. He is the founder of the Invictus Games, an event which brings together injured former military personnel through sport.

He is also involved in a series on mental health with Oprah, which was filmed partly in the UK while he was a senior royal, but for Apple TV.

One of Meghan’s first post-royal pieces of work was a voiceover for Disney+, a competitor of Netflix.

Prince Harry and Megha Markle moved to Santa Barbara last month, where they’ve bought a house in the seaside town.

The sprawling house is thought to have a tennis court, a massive pool and is 14,500 square feet.

With extra reporting by Rebecca Taylor

Click here to sign up to our daily newsletter to get all the latest news and hacks. Or if you have a story tip, email us at lifestyle.tips@verizonmedia.com.