Meghan's drastic move ahead of Piers Morgan storm off

Penny Burfitt
·Lifestyle & Entertainment Producer
·4-min read

Meghan Markle filed a formal complaint against Good Morning Britain host Piers Morgan after he sensationally stormed off set live on TV, after his co-host confronted him about comments he made about Meghan Markle's experience of suicidal thoughts.

ITV confirmed the host would be stepping down from his position after co-host Alex Beresford condemned the outspoken Meghan critic for 'trashing' the Duchess of Sussex for years, but particularly in the wake of her and Prince Harry's explosive interview with Oprah Winfrey this week.

Piers Morgan Good Morning Britain Meghan Markle storm off quit
Piers' outburst and storm off prompted a formal complaint from the Duchess of Sussex. Photo: ITV

Now it has been revealed that after what Beresford called Piers' 'pathetic' display, the woman at the centre of the scandal took matters into her own hands, filing a formal complaint with the network.

The unprecedented move was confirmed by ITV's Royal Editor Chris Ship, who shared the news on Twitter.

Tweet ITV Meghan complaint
Photo: Twitter

"So ... the Duchess of Sussex formally filed a complaint to [ITV] on Monday," the editor wrote in a tweet shared on Wednesday. "It’s thought to have been sent to the broadcaster’s CEO. Meghan raised concerns about how [Piers]’s words affect the issue of mental health and what it might do to others contemplating suicide."

RELATED:

Piers lambasted the Duke and Duchess of Sussex on Monday morning in the wake of their explosive interview with Oprah Winfrey released over the weekend.

“I don’t believe a word she says," he said of Meghan's shocking claims made during the interview.

Meghan markle
Meghan claimed she had been left feeling like she 'didn't want to live anymore' after her experience isolated and attacked by the press. Photo: CBS

Among those claims made by both Harry and Meghan was that the duo was financially 'cut off' by the royal family after Megxit, that while Meghan was pregnant one royal expressed concerns over 'how dark' Archie's skin would be, and that the pressures and control she felt under while a working royal lead Meghan to a place where she 'didn't want to live'.

The next day co-host Alex Beresford ripped into the shock jock pointing out the damage of his words saying, “you’ve made it so clear a number of times on this program, a number of times”.

“And I understand that you’ve got a personal relationship with Meghan Markle, or had one and she cut you off. She’s entitled to cut you off if she wants to,” he added.

“Has she said anything about you since she cut you off? I don’t think she has, yet you continue to trash her.”

Piers Morgan storms off
Piers Morgan has left Good Morning Britain in a sensational exit on live TV. Photo: ITV

In response Piers, who on Monday spent 30 minutes criticising Meghan and Harry's Oprah interview on the live show stormed off the set saying he was 'done with this', in a move that Beresford labelled 'pathetic'.

"Sorry can't do this," Piers said as he left the set.

“This is absolutely diabolical behaviour, I’m sorry but Piers spouts off on a regular basis and we all have to sit there and listen," Beresford shot back. "6:30 to 7 yesterday was incredibly hard to watch," Beresford said as the host left the set.

It was later confirmed by ITV that Piers would be leaving the show.

Since then, the TV host broke his silence writing on Twitter: "On Monday, I said I didn't believe Meghan Markle in her Oprah interview. I've had time to reflect on this opinion, and I still don't. If you did, OK."

"Freedom of speech is a hill I'm happy to die on. Thanks for all the love, and hate. I'm off to spend more time with my opinions," he told his 7.8 million Twitter followers.

Queen breaks silence on Oprah interview

The exit of Meghan and Harry's most vocal critic came after the Queen breaks her silence on their explosive claims.

The Queen responded to the interview with Oprah Winfrey saying she was 'saddened' to hear their claims.

In a brief statement released on Tuesday, Buckingham Palace said allegations of racism made earlier this week by Prince Harry and Meghan were “concerning” and the Queen was 'saddened' by the interview.

Buckingham Palace says the issues raised will be addressed privately by the royal family.

Never miss a thing. Sign up to Yahoo Lifestyle’s daily newsletter.

Or if you have a story idea, email us at lifestyle.tips@verizonmedia.com.