Queen breaks silence on Harry and Meghan's 'concerning' claims

Penny Burfitt
·Lifestyle & Entertainment Producer
·3-min read

The Queen has responded to Harry and Meghan's interview with Oprah Winfrey in which they made several explosive claims about the royal family.

Harry and Meghan shocked the world with their frank, and oftentimes scathing recounting of their experience within the royal family and their decision to take a step back.

Photo by: zz/KGC-107/STAR MAX/IPx 3/6/21 Oprah Winfrey's interview with Meghan Markle and
Buckingham Palace has responded to shocking claims made by Meghan Markle and Prince Harry in a CBS interview with Oprah Winfrey. Photo: AP

Among the most jaw-dropping were that the duo was financially 'cut off' by the royal family after Megxit, that while Meghan was pregnant one royal expressed concerns over 'how dark' Archie's skin would be, and that the pressures and control she felt under while a working royal lead Meghan to a place where she 'didn't want to live'.

RELATED:

It was later clarified by Oprah that neither the Queen nor Prince Philip were responsible for the comments about Archie's skin colour.

Buckingham Palace responds

Queen Elizabeth responds to Harry and Meghan itnervuew
Buckingham Palace has issued a statement. Photo: Getty Images

In a brief statement released on Tuesday, Buckingham Palace said allegations of racism made earlier this week by Prince Harry and Meghan were “concerning” and would be addressed privately by the royal family.

"The whole family is saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan," she says.

"The issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning. Whilst some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately."

The statement reaffirmed the family's relationship with the Sussexes.

"Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved family members," it concluded.

Royal family 'reeling' from tell-all

It comes after the Queen reportedly called senior royals in for crisis talks amid the backlash from the interview.

According to the Daily Mail, insiders have described the mood amongst the family as "intense personal shock and sadness", believing Harry has pressed the "nuclear button on his own family".

Royal staff reportedly stayed up until 3 am to watch the interview with a "mounting sense of horror", before senior officials and the senior royals were called for in-person and phone or video talks.

"Staff are reeling. But there is [also] a strong sense of needing to retain a dignified silence and show kindness and compassion. There’s a lot people want to say but no one wins with a tit-for-tat battle," one source said.

Prince Charles was said to be 'in despair' over claims made by Prince Harry that he stopped returning his calls in the midst of the couple's exit from the UK.

Prince Harry claimed in the interview that he was 'trapped' by the institution and that he considers his father and brother to be similarly trapped in their current roles.

Never miss a thing. Sign up to Yahoo Lifestyle’s daily newsletter.

Or if you have a story idea, email us at lifestyle.tips@verizonmedia.com.