Hamish Macdonald is heading back to The Project just 18 months after he left the panel show to go it alone as the host of Q+A.
The 40-year-old announced his surprise return to Channel 10 less than 48 hours after revealing his exit from the iconic ABC current affairs program on Monday.
Hamish returns to The Project
Hamish joined Q+A in February last year when founding presenter Tony Jones stepped down after 12 years at the helm.
His homecoming, which is slated for 'early September,' will see Hamish reunited with Lisa Wilkinson as co-host of The Sunday Project.
"I am over the moon to be returning to 10 and thrilled about the opportunity to make great local and international content with this dynamic group of producers and presenters," Hamish said in a statement from Channel 10.
"It is also a total joy to be heading back to the desk with Lisa, Tommy [Little] and the people I love so much," he added.
Channel 10 newsreader Hugh Riminton took to Twitter to welcome Hamish back.
"Great to see him back - Hamish Macdonald returns to a full-time gig at @theprojecttv - hosting and hitting the road," he wrote.
"He is great on The Project," replied a fan.
"Great news!" added another.
The announcement also had several viewers wondering if Hamish would be replacing an existing panelist, with some pointing the finger at the current co-host of The Sunday Project, Peter van Onselen.
A Network 10 spokesperson tells Yahoo Lifestyle:
"Peter van Onselen remains an integral member of The Project team. As 10’s Network Political Editor, he will be focussing strongly on the upcoming election and continue to break news from Canberra."
The spokesperson also confirmed that Peter would not appear as regularly on The Sunday Project once Hamish returned.
Hamish previously worked for Channel 10 between 2010 and 2013, before rejoining in 2017 as a regular host of The Sunday Project.
In a statement about his leaving Q+A on Monday, he hinted at an 'exciting a new opportunity' but also indicated that he would be 'working more' with the ABC 'in the future'.
Hamish's replacement has yet to be announced however the ABC has said that Q+A will continue to be hosted by members of the network's presenting roster.
Hamish is expected to be back on The Sunday Project — as well as The Project on Friday nights — in 'early September'.
Additional reporting by Lachlan Guertin.
Never miss a thing. Sign up to Yahoo Lifestyle’s daily newsletter.
Or if you have a story idea, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.