Broadway star Nick Cordero wakes from coma after leg amputation due to coronavirus

Raechal Shewfelt
Editor, Yahoo Entertainment

Broadway star Nick Cordero has woken from his coma after having his leg amputated due to coronavirus, his wife has revealed.

Amanda Kloots gave a very happy update on her husband via Instagram.

Nick Cordero has woken from his coma after having his leg amputation due to coronavirus. Photo: Getty

“Guys we might have to change our hashtag. Nick, dada, is awake!” she said as she held the couple’s 11-month-old son, Elvis.

“Finally confirmed after two days of, ‘Is he doing this?’ You get so excited, the nurses are like, ‘We think this is happening.’ The doctor confirmed today that, ‘Yep, I think Nick is awake.’ And I was like, ‘Oh my God.’”

Nick was hospitalised at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles with pneumonia-like symptoms that turned out to be COVID-19.

Amanda shared the news when Nick was placed in a medically-induced coma and had his right leg amputated as doctors treated him for complications of the coronavirus.

She has continued to update fans of the actor, who’s appeared in Broadway’s Bullets Over Broadway and Waitress and on TV’s Blue Bloods, using the hashtag #wakeupnick.

Now that he’s awake, Amanda said Nick remains “really, really weak.” He can just barely open his eyes.

Still, she called the development “great news,” and she shared images of Nick’s supporters celebrating.

Amanda shared the news on Instagram. Photo: Instagram

The actress and fitness trainer has remained hopeful throughout her husband’s struggle and shared stories of their time together as a couple and parents on social media.

“I feel like there is an army of people behind him, behind us,” Amanda said during an April appearance on CBS This Morning.

“I just believe — I get chills saying it — I just believe that he will wake up.”

Amanda Kloots and Nick Cordero in August last year. Photo: Getty

During the same interview, Amanda explained that her husband of three years’ health crisis had been unexpected.

“This is one of the saddest parts — we thought I would see him in two hours,” she said.

“I said you know, ‘Call me when you want me to come pick you up.’ I didn't even give him a kiss or a hug because we were also kind of self-isolating from him because we have this 10-month-old baby.”

An hour later, Nick called to let her know he had been admitted to the hospital.

Got a story tip or just want to get in touch? Email us at