The coronavirus lockdown has had a devastating impact on families across the globe, and familiar faces on our TV screens are no exception.
From Karl Stefanovic discussing being cut off from his mother after his new baby girl arrived, to now Steve Price opening up about his fears of never seeing his mum in person again, it’s a tough and tragic time for many.
Steve, 65, had viewers devastated on Monday evening’s episode of The Project when he opened up about the devastating blow the latest South Australian coronavirus cluster delt him and his family.
Steve’s elderly mother, 87, lives in South Australia and given Steve is based in Victoria, mother and son have been apart for the better part of the year.
Steve revealed he was absolutely ‘gutted’ upon learning of the latest outbreak in the state, and even feared it might mean he doesn’t get to see him mum again.
Steve’s heartbreak over mum, 87
“Yesterday I gave my mother a date,” the heartbroken host told the panel. “I said, I will be there on the 10th of December in the car to pick you up after not seeing you since February. She’s 87, she can’t fly in a plane, she can’t drive herself. (And now) we may get shut out again.”
Carrie attempted to comfort him saying no decisions had been made on the border closure yet, and there might be hope for Steve being able to visit his mum, but he wasn’t comforted so easily after he revealed more of the tough conversation.
“She said this morning, ‘OK, I’m just going to have Christmas Day on my own. I won’t make the Christmas cake because there’ll be no-one here to eat it,’” he said.
Making it worst, the host said he felt the news had dealt his mother a serious blow, and she was going downhill because of it.
“I’m not being overdramatic – I really felt this morning that she’d gone downhill badly because of this news,” he said. “And imagine how many other South Australians are in that boat tonight?”
“It’s a bastard of a thing, this COVID,” he later added.
As his co-hosts comforted him with the possibility the borders may remain open, the host made a final heart-shattering admission.
“I hope so, because it just breaks my heart,” he said.
South Australia’s coronavirus cluster has grown further as health authorities desperately try and curtail the spread of Covid-19 within the community after more than half a year without local transmission.
Health Minister Stephen Wade told ABC News Breakfast there were now 20 cases after the state’s first locally acquired cases since April were announced on Sunday.
From Tuesday all gyms, recreation centres and play cafes are closed for two weeks with community sports fixtures and training cancelled.
The outbreak stood at 17 on Monday.
Additional reporting by Tom Flanagan.
Never miss a thing. Sign up to Yahoo Lifestyle’s daily newsletter.
Or if you have a story idea, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.