Sonia Kruger's new gig with Seven officially announced

Sarah Carty
Senior Lifestyle & Entertainment Producer

Sonia Kruger’s new gig with Channel Seven has officially been announced, just days after her shocking departure from Channel Nine, after eight years with the network.

In a statement released to Yahoo Lifestyle Australia, Channel Seven confirmed that the 54-year-old would be joining the network in 2020, with a whole set of new hosting gigs. 

Sonia Kruger's new gigs with Channel Seven has been announced. Here she is pictured with Seven West Media Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer James Warburton. Photo: Channel Seven

“Sonia’s considerable experience with live television audiences will be on display as a judge on the ultimate talent showdown, Australia’s Got Talent: The Champions, and as host of the international family blockbuster, Mega Mini Golf,” the statement read. 

“Sonia will also be part of Seven’s broadcast team for Tokyo 2020, projected to be the biggest broadcast and digital event in Australian history.”

Sonia Kruger ‘excited’ to get back to Channel Seven

Sonia, who previously worked with Channel Seven as the co-host of Dancing with the Stars and as Entertainment Reporter for Sunrise and Today Tonight, said she’s ecstatic about the move. 

“I’m beyond excited to be returning to the network where I first discovered my love of live television and family entertainment. With the upcoming Olympics in Tokyo and a slate of brand new primetime shows Seven is the place to be. I feel privileged to be joining James ( Seven West Media Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer James Warburton) and the team for what’s going to be an exhilarating ride.”

Australia’s Got Talent: The Champions, Mega Mini Golf, and the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020, are all set to air on Channel Seven in 2020.

Sonia Kruger is leaving Channel Nine. Photo: Nine

Shock departure from Channel Nine

It comes just days after Sonia made the shock announcement that she would be leaving the Nine network after eight years.

The morning show host looked emotional as she made the shocking announcement on Today Extra as visibly upset co-host David Campbell looked on.

Sonia told viewers she was ‘ready for something new’, but very sad to leave the network after such a long time on board.

Even more shocking is that, far from a drawn-out farewell tour, Sonia confirmed she would appearing on the show, and network, for the last time the following morning – Friday, November 14.

“After eight fabulous years, I’m leaving the show and the Nine network,” she said on air.

“I have had an amazing time here I’ve been very privileged to work on some top-shelf programs and of course with you David Campbell.”

Sonia joined Nine full time in late 2011 after years of odd jobs for the network.

Sonia was the face of The Voice since 2015. Photo: Nine

In recent years, the former actress and dancer turned media personality, has been the face of Today Extra, as well as the host of programs like The Voice.

She told 9Honey the decision will allow her extra time with her daughter Maggie who turns five next year.

“I have more time to spend with Maggie now, rather than being committed on that daily basis,” she told the site.

No replacement has been announced, however it’s understood Sylvia Jefferys will be in the chair come Monday morning as the network looks for a replacement.

Rumoured return to Big Brother

With the news that Big Brother would make part of Channel Seven’s 2020 offering, it was rumoured that Sonia may jump ship to the rival network to reprise her role as the reality TV show’s host.

She fronted Big Brother while it was on Nine between 2012 and 2014, and an insider suggested to Daily Mail last week that Seven had offered her big money to jump ship.

“She's leaving because Channel Seven are prepared to pay far more money than Channel Nine,” they said – with that amount estimated at $1.3 million a year.

Another blow for Today

It's been a week of losses for Nine, and Today in particular. Photo: Nine

The shocking announcement was another in a series of blows to the Today franchise, which is shedding talent faster than a coat in summer.

That same week, sports presenter Tony Jones announced he was leaving his role after just 12 months citing an ‘unsustainable workload’.

“It’s certainly been a wild ride over the past year, but I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my time working on the Today show,” he told the Herald Sun following news of the departure.

“Juggling those commitments, together with Nine News, Sunday Footy Show and 3AW was not sustainable.”

The double blow came just days after hosts Deborah Knight and Georgie Garnder were axed in favour of Karl Stefanovic and Allison Langdon.

Got a story tip or just want to get in touch? Email us at lifestyle.tips@verizonmedia.com

Want more lifestyle and celebrity news? Follow Yahoo Lifestyle on FacebookTwitter and Instagram.

Or sign up to our daily newsletter here.