Prince William's short response indicates 'serious problem', expert claims

Kristine Tarbert
·Features and Health Editor
·3-min read

Prince William was the first member of the royal family to publicly respond to accusations made by Harry and Meghan, however his 'short response' could indicate a 'serious problem, one expert has claimed.

During a royal engagement in east London, William was asked if the royal family was racist, to which he responded: "We're very much not a racist family."

Britain's Prince William, Duke of Cambridge reacts to a question from the media
Prince William has broken his silence on accusations of racism within the Royal Family. Photo: Getty

William also told reporters he had not yet talked to Harry since the interview was broadcast just over three days ago.

The Daily Mirror's Royal Editor Russell Myers thought this response from the Prince was unusual, and pointed to "serious problems" within the family.

"We're witnessing the disintegration of the family relationship before our very eyes," he said during an interview on the Today show.

RELATED:

"The relationship between William and Harry has been on the floor for a long time, and Harry even said in the interview they were treating it with space.

"There will be a lot more space between them, unless someone crashes their heads together, and maybe that will be the Queen or maybe William will be the bigger person to pick up the phone."

Britain's Prince William, Duke of Cambridge  and Britain's Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge
William and Kate visit School21 following its re-opening after the easing of coronavirus lockdown restrictions. Photo: Getty

A day earlier, a royal source told The Sun that Prince William is ‘livid’ over the claims, and that he thought the accusations of racism were "deeply upsetting and wrong".

Myers did say he was impressed that William addressed the accusations of racism "head-on".

"He's become the first member of the royal family to address these claims," Myers said.

"He had the Queen's statement earlier in the week, which was quite conciliatory, but fair play."

On Tuesday, Buckingham Palace issued a statement on behalf of 94-year-old Queen Elizabeth, the princes' grandmother, in which she said the family were saddened by how challenging the couple had found the last few years.

"The whole family is saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan," she says.

"The issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning. Whilst some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately."

meghan and harry with oprah
Meghan and Harry's tell-all with Oprah was explosive. Photo: CBS

Harry and Meghan shocked the world with their frank, and oftentimes scathing recounting of their experience within the royal family and their decision to take a step back.

Among the most jaw-dropping was that while Meghan was pregnant one royal expressed concerns over 'how dark' Archie's skin would be.

"Who is having that conversation with you?" an incredulous Oprah asked the Duchess during the tell-all.

Meghan refused to tell her who it was with, saying it would be 'damaging' for that person.

Later on in the interview, Meghan was joined by Harry who was also adamant he would never reveal who he had the controversial conversation with.

"I’m never going to share," he told the TV host. "But at the time... at the time it was awkward. I was a bit shocked."

Never miss a thing. Sign up to Yahoo Lifestyle’s daily newsletter.

Or if you have a story idea, email us at lifestyle.tips@verizonmedia.com.