Prince Harry throws Charles 'under the bus' leaving relationship 'fraught'

·Features and Health Editor
·2-min read

Prince Harry and Prince Charles' relationship is said to be at an 'all time low' after the Duke of Sussex virtually threw his father 'under the bus' recently.

The royals haven't spoken in months, with Charles reportedly deciding to keep 'a dignified silence' because he fears a public split could affect his reign, sources told The Sun.

charles and harry
Prince Harry and Prince Charles' relationship is said to be at an 'all time low'. Photo: CBS/Getty

The Prince of Wales is said to be 'distraught' after Harry on Sunday spoke about how he had 'severed ties' with Mahfouz Marei Mubarak bin Mahfouz a year before Charles presented the controversial Saudi billionaire with a CBE.

Harry is said to have become concerned about Mr Mahfouz in 2014 and wound down their relationship the following year, having met him twice.

"This attack was more damaging than the swipe at Charles' parenting skills because this was a challenge to the way he conducts his business which is far more damaging to the future King," a source said.

RELATED:

The father and son last spoke in person at the Duke of Edinburgh's funeral eight months ago, and insiders say they have only exchanged a few 'fraught' phone calls since.

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex talks with Prince Charles
Charles has yet to meet his granddaughter Lilibet. Photo: Getty

While Harry was in London in July to unveil the Diana statue they didn't actually meet and Charles has not yet met his six-month-old granddaughter Lilibet.

"Attempts have been made to clear the air but they have barely spoken since the Duke of Edinburgh's funeral," the insider added.

Charles' relationship with Mr Mahfouz has sparked criticism in recent months. The prince's senior aide Michael Fawcett was forced to resign as head of The Prince's Foundation last month over his role in the reported scandal.

It comes after claims Prince Harry felt 'erased' by the Queen's last-minute decision to exclude Harry, Meghan Markle and baby Archie from her annual Christmas broadcast after learning that the Duke of Sussex wanted to step back from royal life.

Despite Meghan and Harry featuring prominently on the Queen's desk during the 2018 broadcast, she asked for the photo to be removed for the following year.

There was, of course, a large photo of Prince William, Kate Middleton and their young children Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis that featured.

Never miss a thing. Sign up to Yahoo Lifestyle’s daily newsletter.

Or if you have a story idea, email us at lifestyle.tips@yahooinc.com.