A royal expert has described Prince William and Kate Middleton's potential visit to the Sussexes during their 2022 tour of the US as a 'lose-lose situation'.
The Duke of Cambridge announced he was taking his environmental initiative, The Earthshot Prize to America next year at the inaugural event held back in October in London.
Sussex visit a 'lose-lose situation'
At the time, Wills didn't share any other details about the trip, such as proposed timings, engagements or whether their three children will come along, leaving lots of questions unanswered at this stage.
The main question, of course, was whether or not the visit will involve a reunion between royal brothers Harry and William, who have reportedly been feuding since before Prince Harry married his now-wife, Meghan Markle.
Jonathan Sacerdoti told US Magazine that the situation involves multiple negative outcomes for both the Cambridges and the Sussexes, who have lived in California for the past year.
"It’s like so many of these things — it’s a sort of lose-lose situation," Sacerdoti said.
"If [the Cambridges] get invited and they decline, it seems petty and nasty. And if they don’t get invited, it seems petty and nasty from the other side [the Sussexes]," he added.
And, as Sacerdoti in the event that William and Kate do accept an invite from Harry and Meghan, it could be seen as a 'bad idea' by the public and press if the meeting doesn't go as smoothly as planned.
"I can’t quite see how this would work," he concluded.
The princes were last together at the unveiling of a statue of their late mother, Princess Diana back in July, however, Harry reportedly left just 20 minutes after the event.
If the Cambridge clan does stop by Harry and Meghan's multi-million dollar Santa Barbara mansion, it might just be the first time a member of the royal family gets to meet the couple's second child, Lilibet in person.
The Queen's hopes of meeting her eleventh great-grandchild were seemingly dashed earlier in October when palace insiders confirmed that the Sussexes would not be heading back to the UK for Lili's christening.
'Strategic' tour of the States
Prince William announced his US travel plans following the inaugural Earthshot Prize award ceremony in London on October 17.
"This is just the start," the 39-year-old said of his goals for Earthshot. "I'm thrilled that in 2022, The Earthshot Prize will be heading to the United States, where we will continue to spread this vital message of urgency, optimism and action."
But Kate, 39, and Wills' US visit is reportedly a strategic one aimed at raising their profile and regaining popularity dented by the Sussex's bombshell interview with Oprah Winfrey back in March.
"Team Cambridge is very focused on America and making sure they have a high profile over there," a source told Vanity Fair.
"[They] are aware that their popularity took a bit of a dive post the Oprah interview, and that the focus now is on getting that support back," they added.
Never miss a thing. Sign up to Yahoo Lifestyle’s daily newsletter.
Or if you have a story idea, email us at email@example.com.