Prince Harry's 'feud' with royal family 'worse than we thought'

Sarah Carty
·Features & Style Editor
·3-min read

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s Remembrance Day cemetery visit has indicated how ‘expendable’ the prince is to the royal family, a royal author has claimed.

On Sunday, Harry and Meghan were pictured laying flowers at the Los Angeles National Cemetery after Buckingham Palace reportedly denied his request to lay a wreath on his behalf.

Details:Remembrance Sunday and the Centenary of the Armistice. Pic Shows The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and the Duke and Duchess of Sussex at the service
Prince Harry's feud' with the royal family is 'worse than we thought' according to a royal author. Photo: Getty Images

While it’s reported the Queen was never told about Prince Harry’s request, a royal expert has claimed the ‘snub’ tells us a lot about the dynamics of the royals since Harry and Meghan’s exit from their roles as senior royals.

"I think this is an indication that things are worse than we thought,” royal author Rovert Lacey told Newsweek.

“If everything was hunkydorey there seems no reason why a wreath should not have been laid in Harry's name.

"If the royal family or the palace wanted to co-operate then it would seem to be a perfectly reasonable request to make that could have been fulfilled. I don't think it augurs well for the prospects of a reconciliation.”

RELATED:

Prince Harry Meghan Markle Prince William Kate Middleton on the Buckingham Palace balcony
Prince Harry's request for a wreath to be laid on his behalf was reportedly denied by the royal family. Photo: Getty Images

The Queen was reportedly not notified of Harry's request with the refusal leaving Harry "deeply saddened".

Harry served in the Armed Forces for a decade before returning to life as a full-time member of the royal family, with the Prince discussing the importance of the day on military podcast Declassified.

“The act of remembering, of remembrance, is a profound act of honour,” he told the podcast. “It's how we preserve the legacies of entire generations and show our gratitude for the sacrifices they made in order for us to be able to live the lives we live today.”

Instead, Harry and Meghan picked flowers from their garden and left them at the graves of two Commonwealth soldiers – one from the Royal Australian Airforce and one from the Royals Canadian Artillery.

It didn't take long for UK TV presenter Piers Morgan to weigh in on their decision to have the moment photographed by Lee Morgan, a celebrity fashion photographer, with the host calling it a "PR stunt".

He wrote on Twitter: "Just outrageous - treating Remembrance Sunday like a PR opportunity, & trying to steal headlines from the real royals doing their duty back home."

Piers continued in another post: "If they wanted to be' 'left alone', they wouldn't do PR stunts every day to get media attention."

However, many others wrote that as someone who spent ten years in the military, Harry had every right to lay down a wreath.

Others suggested that if the pair had done nothing for Remembrance Day they also would have been slammed, so it's a lose-lose situation for them.

rince Harry, Duke of Cambridge and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex meet veterans and soldiers as they attend the 91st Field of Remembrance at Westminster Abbey on November 7, 2019 in London, England.
Instead, Harry and Meghan picked flowers from their garden and left them at the graves of two Commonwealth soldiers. Photo: Getty Images

Royal ‘feud’

The ‘fab four’ first appeared together in February 2018 in an official appearance at the Royal Foundation forum, just four months before Harry and Meghan tied the knot.

Rumours of a ‘feud’ in the palace cast a shadow over their tight bond and by March last year, the Queen announced the creation of a new Household for Harry and Meghan, away from Kensington Palace.

The Sussexes moved to Frogmore Cottage in Windsor, while William and Kate stayed put at Kensington Palace.

In January this year, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle announced they would be parting ways with the royal family so they could gain financial independence.

The Sussexes, along with their one-year-old son, Archie, moved to Canada before finally settling in Santa Barbara.

With extra reporting by Marni Dixit

Never miss a thing. Sign up to Yahoo Lifestyle’s daily newsletter.

Or if you have a story idea, email us at lifestyle.tips@verizonmedia.com.