Production of Love Island Australia has been thrown into chaos, not long after a crew member working on a different show, I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here, tested positive for COVID-19 and prompted Byron’s snap lockdown.
ITV Studios is the production company for both reality TV shows, and while I’m A Celebrity has reportedly wrapped filming in the area, Love Island was just about to begin.
The dating show, which only recently announced its premiere date as October 4, is now up in the air after the mayor of Byron issued a statement threatening to revoke filming permissions.
Byron Shire Mayor, Michael Lyon, issued a lengthy statement on social media on Wednesday saying that he is currently investigating the situation.
“I am looking into our options this morning to rescind Council approval for the Love Island production, from the same studios that brought I'm A Celebrity, and COVID, to the region,” he began.
He went on to explain that although he had insisted on a 14-day isolation period for cast and crew to be implemented, it would no longer be possible.
“It is worth noting that people coming here for work don't actually have to show a negative COVID test, this was thankfully part of the filming protocol that allowed this early detection,” the mayor continued.
The Channel Nine series, which is hosted by Sophie Monk, was estimated to pump around $5 million into the local economy.
In a statement to Yahoo Lifestyle, a Nine spokesperson said: “We are working with production and authorities as we find a way to deliver the show for our audience.”
It was reported earlier this week that a fully vaccinated woman who travelled from Sydney to Byron Bay with an exemption for work purposes allegedly visited several non-essential locations while infected with COVID-19.
The incident prompted three LGAs to enter a snap seven-day lockdown on Tuesday, including Byron Bay, Tweed and Kempsey, and Queensland also tightened its border restrictions.
The person was later identified as a crew member on I’m A Celebrity, with ITV Studios Australia confirming that one of its workers had contracted the virus.
They said in a statement: “We take our CovidSAFE plan extremely seriously. The health, safety and welfare of the community, as well as our cast and crew, is our number one priority.”
Yahoo Lifestyle has contacted ITV Studios Australia for further comment.
Never miss a thing. Sign up to Yahoo Lifestyle’s daily newsletter.
Or if you have a story idea, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.