Indoor plants have become a way of life for many Aussies, particularly during the COVID pandemic when we’ve all been cooped up inside.
But one keen green thumb got the shock of their lives when confronted with their ‘plant babies’ scattered across the floor, broken pieces of pots and soil everywhere.
As they explained in a post in a Facebook group, the greenery was previously displayed on a Kmart shelf until it collapsed, sending the makeshift garden crashing to the ground.
“Public Service Announcement: Don’t put expensive plants on your Kmart stand,” the person wrote.
“When things like this happen, all you can do is laugh (and buy a new stand),” they added.
Fellow Facebook users flooded the comments section with a mix of commiserations and sheer horror at the plant massacre.
“Omg my worst nightmare,” wrote one.
“I couldn’t cope I would need therapy,” said another.
One user wondered just how big the person’s plant family was.
“Jeez how many plants were on the stand?” they asked.
Others popped up to share their advice when it comes to shelves and plants.
“That is a lot of plants on a shelf!!! Don't overload shelves. Stick with the recommended load limits,” advised one.
“Always add more screws next time to make more stable,” added another.
Many of Kmart’s shelves and bookcases come with warnings regarding maximum weight capacity and customers are strongly encouraged to permanently secure such furniture to the wall to prevent toppling.
Kmart has been approached for comment.