Prince Harry reportedly celebrated his 36th birthday with his family via video chat last week, as the global pandemic and an ocean and continent or two keeps him separated from his royal relatives.
It seems however, not everyone was able, or willing to join the celebratory call, with William and Kate said to have been notable absences in the very immediate affair.
Harry and wife Meghan Markle reportedly dialled in from their luxurious Californian mansion, while grandma the Queen joined from Balmoral Castle where she and Prince Phillip are wrapping up their summer holidays.
Charles and Camilla also dialled in presumably from Scotland where they have been spending the summer, but it seems the Kensington gang could not make it to the laptop for the event.
“William sent his birthday best wishes,” a source told UK news site The Mirror. ‘There was some excuse made about why he wasn’t there.”
Meghan reportedly baked a cake for the call and those that were present sang happy birthday, with Archie helping his dad blow out the candles.
The source added that it was ‘a bit awkward’ that the duo who were once one-half of the Fab Four were nowhere to be seen.
Tension surrounds Harry’s birthday celebrations
It comes on the back of pre-existing tension around Harry’s birthday, his first since ditching his role as a senior royal in January this year.
The Cambridge’s decision to share a photo snapped before Harry and Meghan were an established item was seen by some as a snub to Meghan, who was nowhere to be seen in the snap.
The theory lacked legs however, with most royal birthday posts using images without the subject’s spouse included, and the uproar had plenty of fans slamming the s-called drama as ‘childish’.
Royal blogger Gert’s Royals summed up the reaction in a neat observation on Twiter.
“It’s not rude. Neither [Clarence House nor [The Royal Family] chose a photo with Meghan in it either,” they wrote. “And none chose a photo of Harry with Meghan for Meghan’s birthday. & looking back at the other Royal Birthday tweets this year, most did not include the spouse in the photo.”
It comes on the back of a rollercoaster start to September for the royal family at large.
Last week the island nation Barbados announced its intention to “fully leave our colonial past behind”, deciding the Queen is no longer wanted as the country’s figurehead as it moves to become a republic.
A statement from Buckingham Palace on Wednesday said: “This is a matter for the government and people of Barbados.”
The Prime Minister’s Office agreed it was a “decision for Barbados and the government there”.
“We obviously have a shared history and remain united with Barbados in terms of history, culture and language, and we will continue to have and enjoy a partnership with them as members of the Commonwealth,” a spokesperson said.