Harry and Meghan's friend slam royals for 'uninviting' couple to event

·Lifestyle & Entertainment Producer
·3-min read

A friend of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle has slammed the decision to 'uninvited' them to a state event with world leaders ahead of the Queen's funeral.

The source has claimed the decision is "beyond bonkers" and will make the Sussexes feel "excluded".

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle
Harry and Meghan's friend has slammed the royals for 'uninviting' them to a state event with world leaders ahead of the Queen's funeral. Photo: Getty

Buckingham Palace has since insisted the event, which is hosted by Harry's father King Charles and the Queen Consort, is for working royals only.

"It is beyond bonkers if they're not there. Everyone is coming in from around the world to pay their respects to the Queen," the friend told The Sunday Times.

The confusion over whether or not the couple was invited comes down to issues with the communication between the Sussexes and the royal family, the UK's Daily Telegraph reports.

RELATED

This, coupled with Harry not being allowed to wear his grandmother's initials on his military uniform at the vigil on Saturday, could lead the pair to feel as though "the majority of the operation is against [them]," the source claims.

"It's hard — nobody likes to feel like they're being excluded."

According to Page Six, a spokesperson for the King said, "The invite is for working members of the royal family only."

King Charles and Prince Harry
Apparently, the pair found out they'd been uninvited to the event by reading about it in the press. Photo: Getty

However, a source tells the publication the couple received an invitation and weren't told they'd been uninvited.

"Harry and Meghan actually got the invitation and no-one has actually told them they are uninvited," the source explained.

Another insider added, "I’m told they only found out they were uninvited by reading press reports."

The state event will host over 1000 world leaders, who are set to attend the funeral on Monday.

Guests include Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese, US President Joe Biden and New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern.

Harry 'heartbroken' over removal of Queen's initials from uniform

Prince Harry at Queen's vigil
Harry was left "devastated" after having the Queen's initials, ER, removed from his military uniform for the vigil over the Queen's coffin. Photo: Getty

The removal of the Queen's initials, ER, from Harry's military uniform over the weekend reportedly left him "devastated".

The Duke of Sussex was granted an exemption to wear his uniform for a vigil over the Queen's coffin in Westminster Hall on Saturday alongside the Queen's other grandchildren.

The initials were removed as he is no longer a working member of the royal family, however, Prince Andrew was allowed to keep them despite also not being a working royal.

Harry was reportedly so "heartbroken" by the ban that he considered ditching his military uniform altogether, according to the Sunday Times.

The initials are only to be worn by those "in service" of the monarch.

"He is heartbroken," a friend told the publication. "To remove his grandmother’s initials feels very intentional."

Harry was given special permission to wear his military uniform for the vigil despite previously being banned after Andrew was also given permission to wear his during the Vigil of the Princes.

Never miss a thing. Sign up to Yahoo Lifestyle’s daily newsletter.

Or if you have a story idea, email us at lifestyle.tips@yahooinc.com.