New hosts of The Voice revealed after Sonia Kruger's shock departure

Sarah Carty
Features & Style Editor

Just a few months after Sonia Kruger announced she was leaving the Nine Network after eight years, two new hosts of The Voice have been announced.

Channel Nine revealed today that Darren McMullen and Renee Bargh will front the popular reality show later in 2020.

While Darren is no stranger to the role, having hosted the first four seasons of the show, Renee Bargh is a newcomer to The Voice stage.

Channel Nine has announced Renee Bargh will co-host The Voice. Photo: Instagram/Renee Bargh
Darren McMullen, who hosted the first four seasons of the show, will return to the stage. Photo: Instagram/Darren McMullen

Aussie star Renee has spent the last ten years at the helm of US entertainment show, Extra, where she rubbed shoulders with some of the biggest names in the showbiz industry.

The news comes after there were rumours floating around that Aussie star may have been gearing up to take over the hosting gig.

According to New Idea, Love Island host Sophie Monk signed on the dotted line yesterday.

Rumours circulated this morning that Sophie Monk was set to take over from Sonia Kruger on The Voice. Photo: Instagram/Sophie Monk

However, it looks like Sophie may have to stick to her Love Island host role for now, as Darren and Renee are being toted as the next big dynamic duo by Channel Nine.

Guy Sebastian, Kelly Rowland, Delta Goodrem and Boy George as they search for Australia’s next big music star. 

Sonia Kruger’s shock departure from Nine

The news comes after it was announced in November that Sonia Kruger was departing Nine to join Channel Seven. 

The morning show host looked emotional as she made the shocking announcement on Today Extra as visibly upset co-host David Campbell looked on.

Sonia told viewers she was ‘ready for something new’, but very sad to leave the network after such a long time on board.

Sonia Kruger announced in November that she was leaving the Nine Network after eight years. Photo: Instagram/Sonia Kruger

Even more shocking was that, far from a drawn-out farewell tour, Sonia confirmed she would appearing on the show, and network, for the last time the following morning – Friday, November 14.

“After eight fabulous years, I’m leaving the show and the Nine network,” she said on air.

“I have had an amazing time here I’ve been very privileged to work on some top-shelf programs and of course with you David Campbell.”

Sonia joined Nine full time in late 2011 after years of odd jobs for the network.

In a statement released to Yahoo Lifestyle Australia, Channel Seven confirmed that the 54-year-old would be joining the network in 2020, with a whole set of new hosting gigs. 

“Sonia’s considerable experience with live television audiences will be on display as a judge on the ultimate talent showdown, Australia’s Got Talent: The Champions, and as host of the international family blockbuster, Mega Mini Golf,” the statement read. 

“Sonia will also be part of Seven’s broadcast team for Tokyo 2020, projected to be the biggest broadcast and digital event in Australian history.”

Sonia, who previously worked with Channel Seven as the co-host of Dancing with the Stars and as Entertainment Reporter for Sunrise and Today Tonight, said she was ecstatic about the move. 

Got a story tip or just want to get in touch? Email us at lifestyle.tips@verizonmedia.com