Vegan 'traumatised for life' after eating sausage roll trolled online

Penny Burfitt
Lifestyle & Entertainment Producer
Sharleen Ndungu says she is 'poisoned for life' after eating a Greggs sausage roll. Photo: Twitter

A woman has blasted a British food chain after she alleges she bit into a sausage roll that contained pork, but it has come back to bite her online.

Sharleen Ndungu took to social media, sharing multiple videos explaining the incident that she says left her ‘traumatised’, but a strong backlash saw the student delete the videos and her own social media account.

‘Traumatised’ Sarleen speaks out

In the video a distraught Sharleen explained a mix up saw the store serve her two sausage rolls, instead of the vegan variety she ordered, meaning she copped a mouthful of meat inadvertently.

“I'm carrying on eating and my heart starts beating like madness. Heart palpitations like I was running somewhere or something,” she explained in one of the deleted videos.

"And then my stomach started turning upside down, I was like 'Woah, what's going on, this only happens when I consume meat'."

The Kent-based student explained she ‘burst into tears’ when she realised the mix-up.

The sausage roll turned out to contain pork, to Sharleen's horror. Photo: Getty Images

“My body is poisoned for life now, you know,” she said in one of the videos.

The horrified non-meat-eater demanded a public apology from the popular sausage roll makers, saying she was initially offered nothing but a refund for the $4 she spent on the rolls.

Thought the chain issued a letter of apology, the student argued a public apology was the only thing that could make up for the incident.

"If I was allergic to pork or any of the ingredients that were inside that dirty sausage, I literally could have died," she said.

"Some people, namely meat-eaters, might think I'm over exaggerating but I could have died."

Sharleen trolled online

Since the story went viral, Sharleen removed the videos and has been the subject of trolling online.

Many have labelled her a ‘snowflake’, and worse.

“Get a grip you idiot,” was one of the least offensive jibes.

“Can’t be much of a vegan not knowing the difference,” another said.

At least one person came to the young woman’s defence.

“The point of her video is that you can be given the wrong food and you should watch what you’re given,” they argued.

The majority of the commentary, however, was scathing of Sharleen who appears to have deleted her social media accounts since.

Greggs apologises

Greggs issued an apology to Sharleen, as well as Kent Live. Photo: Getty Images

In a statement to Kent Live, the chain reiterated their apology and said they were still looking into the incident.

“We have apologised to the customer for this incident,” the organisation told the local news site, adding they would investigate to prevent the situation being repeated.

Got a story tip or just want to get in touch? Email us at lifestyle.tips@verizonmedia.com

Want more lifestyle and celebrity news? Follow Yahoo Lifestyle on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Or sign up to our daily newsletter here.