Queen to mark 95th birthday privately after husband's death

Kristine Tarbert
·Features and Health Editor
·2-min read

Queen Elizabeth II is preparing to celebrate her 95th birthday on Wednesday privately, as official gun salutes in London to mark the occasion are cancelled.

The monarch is still within her two-week period of mourning after the death of her husband Prince Philip at the age of 99, meaning her birthday will pass without much of a public spectacle.

Britain's Queen Elizabeth II arrives at the Queen's Garden Party in Buckingham Palace
The Queen will be celebrating her birthday privately this year. Photo: YUI MOK/AFP via Getty Images

The traditional 41-gun and 21-gun salutes in Hyde Park and the Tower of London have been cancelled for the second year running, after last year's fanfare was scaled back due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

RELATED:

Her Majesty's official mourning period ends on Friday, but even before Philip's death, she was reluctant to mark her 95th birthday in any significant way, the Telegraph UK reports.

Instead she wanted the focus to be on the Duke of Edinburgh's 100th birthday on June 10.

It is thought the Queen will have a low-key lunch with close family at Windsor Castle, the details of which are likely to remain private.

9Honey royal commentator Natalie Oliveri told Today Extra: "She will be visited by a bit of a rotation of her family members, and video calls as well."

Her official birthday parade, Trooping the Colour, has also been cancelled for the second year in a row. It was due to take place in London on June 12. While the annual Garter service at Windsor Castle during the same month has also been cancelled.

Though the palace has confirmed Her Majesty will attend the state opening of parliament at the Palace of Westminster on May 11.

queen elizabeth II
The Queen was said to be reluctant to celebrate her birthday publicly. Photo: Getty

In 2020, a scaled back version of Trooping the Colour was held inside the quadrangle of Windsor Castle.

It was dubbed 'mini Trooping' and featured members of the Welsh Guards and Bands of the Household Division.

Similar plans were reportedly underway for this year but have likely changed after Prince Philip's death.

Never miss a thing. Sign up to Yahoo Lifestyle’s daily newsletter.

Or if you have a story idea, email us at lifestyle.tips@verizonmedia.com.