Following his shock car crash near the Sandringham Estate on Thursday, Prince Philip had initially been given the all-clear by a royal doctor. But it’s now been revealed the 97-year-old has been to hospital since then for a precautionary check-up.
The royal has been told he has “no injuries of concern” after visiting a local hospital on doctor’s advice on Friday, a Buckingham Palace spokeswoman said.
“On doctor’s advice, the Duke of Edinburgh visited the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King’s Lynn this morning for a precautionary check-up,” the Palace spokeswoman said.
“This confirmed His Royal Highness had no injuries of concern. The duke has returned to Sandringham.”
The Palace spokeswoman added that contact had been made privately with the other car’s occupants and “well-wishes exchanged”.
Prince Philip was breath tested right after he flipped his Land Rover in a frightening crash near the Sandringham Estate on Thursday.
The Duke of Edinburgh collided with a Kia at about 3pm, when he pulled out of a driveway onto the A149 in Babingley, Norfolk, just beside Sandringham.
Philip and the driver of the Kia were both breath tested on the scene by police and both of them returned negative results.
The female passenger in the Kia was taken to hospital, where she was treated for an injury to her arm.
The Duke of Edinburgh walked away from the crash, despite shocking images showing his black Land Rover on its side, with the windscreen smashed.
Onlookers told the BBC that they helped the duke out of his Land Rover and he was “conscious but very, very shocked and shaken”.
Philip retired from public life in 2017, although he still occasionally appears alongside his 92-year-old wife, Queen Elizabeth, at official engagements.
Although he missed the traditional church service on Christmas Day last month, the former naval officer is said to be in good health and had a successful hip replacement surgery last year.
There is no legal age in Britain to stop driving, but after 70 people must renew their licence every three years.
He drove Barack and Michelle Obama to lunch at Windsor Castle during their state visit to Britain in 2016, prompting the former US president to remark: “I have to say I have never been driven by a Duke of Edinburgh before, but I can report it was very smooth riding”.
With additional reporting by AAP.
Got a story tip? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Or sign up to our daily newsletter here.