Prince Harry launches another lawsuit as he sues over phone hacking

Prince Harry is suing the publishers of British tabloids The Sun and The Daily Mirror in the High Court over the hacking of voicemail messages.

Prince Harry is set to sue the publishers of Rupert Murdoch's Sun newspaper and the Daily Mirror over allegations of phone hacking as he and Meghan step up their warring with the press.

Prince Harry has launched another lawsuit. Photo: Getty Images

"Claims have been filed on behalf of The Duke of Sussex at the High Court regarding the illegal interception of voicemail messages," a spokeswoman for Harry said, declining to give further details of the claim.

A spokeswoman for News Group Newspapers, publisher of The Sun, confirmed that a claim had been issued by Harry.

Court documents first reported by website Byline Investigates also show that Harry is targeting Mirror Group Newspapers, owned by Reach PLC, with the legal action.

Reach Group declined to comment.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle on their royal tour of Africa. Photo: Getty Images

A source familiar with the situation said proceedings have been issued but the publisher is yet to receive legal papers in relation to the case.

On Tuesday Harry, Duke of Sussex, said he and his wife Meghan were taking separate legal action against the Mail on Sunday over the publication of a private letter that Meghan's lawyers said was "unlawful".

The couple also accused some sections of the British press of bullying behaviour.

The phones of Prince Harry, and brother William's wife Kate were hacked by staff working for Rupert Murdoch's now-defunct News of the World tabloid, a London court heard in 2013.

News of the World had also been part of News Group Newspapers.

Words by AAP

Got a story tip or just want to get in touch? Email us at lifestyle.tips@verizonmedia.com

Want more lifestyle and celebrity news? Follow Yahoo Lifestyle on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Or sign up to our daily newsletter here.