The 'disastrous' interview that caused Prince Andrew's PR advisor to quit
One of Prince Andrew’s closest advisers quit over his decision to give an interview to the BBC’s Newsnight programme, it has emerged.
Jason Stein left the Duke’s employment over the controversial interview two weeks ago, according to Sky News.
His contract is said to have been terminated by ‘mutual consent’ after he disagreed with other advisers about Prince Andrew’s participation in the programme.
The Saturday night encounter with BBC presenter Emily Maitlis was branded ‘disastrous’ as the Duke of York opened up about his friendship with convicted paedophile, Jeffrey Epstein.
Prince Andrew’s television interview with Newsnight was seen as the royal’s attempt to draw a line under his controversial relationship with the disgraced financier and to publicly deny claims he had sex with Virginia Giuffre, one of Epstein’s victims.
Ms Guiffre has claimed the prince had sex with her after they were introduced in a London nightclub on March 10, 2001. Then called Jennifer Roberts, she was 17 at the time.
Andrew said he could not have been at the nightclub as he had been at a Pizza Express restaurant in Woking, Surrey with his daughter, Princess Beatrice, that evening and went home afterwards.
Soon after the interview, public relations and crisis consultant Mark Borkowski told the Daily Mail: “I have never seen anything so disastrous. For any students of PR that is how not to do it.
“It was like watching a man in quicksand and unfortunately, I don’t think anyone would have thrown him a line to get him out.”
But Andrew was not without his defenders.
Former wife Sarah Ferguson said before the show went to air: “It is so rare to meet people that are able to speak from their hearts with honesty and pure real truth, that remain steadfast and strong to their beliefs.
“Andrew is a true and real gentleman and is stoically steadfast to not only his duty but also his kindness and goodness.”
Ms Giuffre has alleged in court documents that they had sex on three occasions.
Her allegations were struck from US civil court records in 2015 after a judge said they were ‘immaterial and impertinent’.
Words by George Martin
Got a story tip or just want to get in touch? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Want more lifestyle and celebrity news? Follow Yahoo Lifestyle on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Or sign up to our daily newsletter here.