Sunday Night star Melissa Doyle reportedly eyeing off return to Sunrise

Kristine Tarbert
Senior Lifestyle & Entertainment Producer
Melissa fronted Sunrise alongside Kochie from 2002 to 2013. Photo: Channel Seven

Sunrise host Samantha Armytage is said to be ‘nervous’ about the potential return of fellow Channel Seven star Melissa Doyle to the breakfast show, after the network stalwart lost her hosting gig on Sunday Night.

Channel Seven announced earlier this month the flagship news program Sunday Night would be axed after a decade-long run on Aussie screens, leaving host Melissa without a role.

And while other Sunday Night stars like Matt Doran and Angela Cox have already been re-homed at the network, according to Woman’s Day, there are whispers Mel has suggested doing some special reporting for her old show, Sunrise.

Melissa Doyle is still looking for a gig after the axing of Sunday Night. Photo: Getty

Mel fronted Sunrise from 2002 to 2013, and alongside Kochie won the hearts of viewers, before she was replaced by Sam.

“Mel would be an obvious pick to cover Edwina's [Bartholomew] maternity leave,” an insider told the magazine.

“But there's no way Sam would want Mel to get her feet under the Sunrise breakfast table. She's too nervous about what a success she'd be.”

Samantha Armytage is said to be 'nervous' about Mel returning. Photo: Getty

Melissa Doyle in limbo after Sunday Night axing

Mel, 49, hosted Sunday Night for four years, after taking over from the previous host, Chris Bath, who stepped away from the network in 2015.

She shared a sweet post to Instagram after the news was out, thanking production teams, and saying being on the show was “a privilege”, however, Woman’s Day is reporting she took the news badly.

“Mel has taken the axing of Sunday Night really badly. She's essentially in limbo after being at the network since she was just 20 years old,” their source said.

Sunday Night axed after 11 years

“After 11 years at the forefront of our Public Affairs offering it is with much sadness I announce the closing down of the day to day operations of Sunday Night: True Stories,” Craig McPherson, Seven Network’s Director of News and Public Affairs said in a statement to Yahoo Lifestyle.

“It has been a very tough decision in a very challenging TV landscape.”

The program will remain on air until the end of 2019, retaining a small production team to produce existing material, he said in his statement.

Got a story tip or just want to get in touch? Email us at lifestyle.tips@verizonmedia.com.

Want more lifestyle and celebrity news? Follow Yahoo Lifestyle on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Or sign up to our daily newsletter here.