Advertisement

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Release a Statement Amid Kate Middleton's Cancer Diagnosis

Meghan Markle, Prince Harry and Kate Middleton

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have spoken out amid the cancer diagnosis that Kate Middleton revealed to the world on Fri., March 22.

The Princess of Wales, who underwent abdominal surgery in January, informed members of the public that it was believed she did not have cancer at the time of her surgery. However, tests following the operation revealed that was not the case.

In a video statement released by Kensington Palace, the 42-year-old royal explained that her medical team recommended she begin preventative chemotherapy, “and I’m now in the early stages of that treatment.”

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex reacted to the news of Kate’s diagnosis with well wishes for her recovery.

"We wish health and healing for Kate and the family, and hope they are able to do so privately and in peace,” Harry and Meghan said in a March 22 statement shared with multiple media outlets.

Related: Internet Rallies Behind Kate Middleton After Incessant Conspiracy Theories Forced Her to Reveal Cancer Diagnosis

Harry’s relationships with other members of the royal family have been rocky since he and Meghan stepped back from their roles as senior royals in early 2020 and moved to California, where they now live with their two young children. Despite the tension, Harry traveled to the U.K. last month to visit with King Charles III, who publicly shared his own cancer diagnosis in early February.

In the king’s case, an undisclosed type of cancer was similarly discovered following a hospital procedure, which he underwent for treatment of an enlarged prostate. He began “regular treatments” following the diagnosis, according to Buckingham Palace.

In her March 22 video message, Kate described her cancer diagnosis as “a huge shock.” The palace has not yet revealed what kind of cancer she is fighting.

“William and I have been doing everything we can to process and manage this privately for the sake of our young family,” she said. The princess appeared hopeful that she and her family will be granted some “privacy” as she continues her cancer battle.

“We hope that you’ll understand that, as a family, we now need some time, space and privacy while I complete my treatment,” she said.

Next: Kate Middleton Praised for 'Tremendous Bravery' After Cancer Diagnosis Announcement