They were VIP guests at Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s wedding in 2018 but according to reports, David and Victoria Beckham fell out with the Sussexes, after the former Spice Girl was accused of being leaks.
According to The Sun, Prince Harry called David Beckham up in 2017 after the Duchess of Sussex became “furious” that personal details about her trips to beauty salons Victoria had recommended started to appear in the media.
The pair had hit it off immediately when Meghan moved from Canada to Kensington Palace, where they were likely introduced by Harry and David Beckham, who have been firm friends for years.
However, the relationship soon turned sour after the Duke of Sussex and the former Manchester United player’s awkward phone call.
“Harry is very protective of Meghan, and decided to deal with the matter head-on, by directly contacting his good pal, David,” a source told The Sun.
“Harry was very polite, but obviously it was a pretty awkward exchange and David was mortified.”
According to the insider, David quickly jumped to Victoria’s defence and “put Harry right”, with it later emerging the leak likely came from one of the beauty salons.
“Afterwards, they got things back on track, but it took a few months,” the source said.
It seems they managed to mend things as David and Victoria were photographed as VIP guests at Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s May 19th wedding in 2018.
However, they were absent from the evening celebration, which was said to only include the couple’s inner circle.
Then, during the royals’ famous Christmas walk at Sandringham on Christmas Day in 2018, Meghan was dressed head-to-toe in Victoria Beckham’s design - which was perhaps an olive branch she was extending to the couple.
Crisis talks with the Queen
The news comes after it was revealed the Queen had called a crisis meeting with Prince Charles, Prince William and Prince Harry at Sandringham on Monday UK time.
Meghan, who dashed back to Canada after dropping the bombshell news that she and Harry are stepping back as senior royals, is expected to call in from overseas.
The ‘upcoming crisis talks’ will be the first time the four have met since the issue engulfed the royal family.
Last week, it was revealed that the Queen and other senior royals were “hurt” by Harry and Meghan’s announcement and had no idea they were about to reveal it until ten minutes before it appeared on their Instagram account.
On Thursday, the Queen, Charles and William gave orders for their households to work with the Sussexes' team to quickly find a "workable solution" to their desire to change the direction of their royal lives, but still support the Queen.
Got a story tip or just want to get in touch? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.