Prince Harry and Meghan Markle could be stepping back onto British soil for the first time in almost a year as they seek to renegotiate their controversial ‘Megxit’ deal.
The duo shocked the world when they revealed they would step back from their senior royal roles in January last year, with a final compromise reached later that month.
The agreement, that saw Harry stripped of military titles, and the duo lose their ‘HRH’ titles and public funding allowed them to keep their titles and patronages until March 2021, at which point the agreement will expire or need to be extended.
Now, The Sun reports the pair want to extend the existing agreement into a ‘more permanent’ arrangement and will return to the UK to broker the deal face to face.
Of concern could be the duo’s mega-deals with streaming platforms Spotify and Netflix which will be ‘examined’ to ensure they line up with the Queen’s values.
The initial agreement was made public in late January when Buckingham palace released a statement.
“As agreed in this new arrangement, they understand that they are required to step back from Royal duties, including official military appointments. They will no longer receive public funds for Royal duties,” the statement read.
“With The Queen’s blessing, the Sussexes will continue to maintain their private patronages and associations. While they can no longer formally represent The Queen, the Sussexes have made clear that everything they do will continue to uphold the values of Her Majesty.”
A ‘friendlier’ discussion on the cards
The new discussions will reportedly take place initially over video call and then likely in the UK in the new year restrictions allowing.
It will be the pair’s first return trip to Harry’s home state after they left for Canada in March, before relocating to Los Angeles where they have been slowly but surely returning to the public eye with a series of ventures.
The renewed Megxit talks will reportedly be a far friendlier affair than the original crisis meetings in Sandringham in January, with rumours of a rift between Harry and Meghan and the rest of the family easing, and the relationship reportedly much improved.
In fact, according to Andrew Morton, the duo are eager to be in attendance at the Queen’s 95th birthday celebrations on April 21, and Prince Phillip’s 100th in June.
They are also said to be planning a return to see Princess Diana’s statue unveiled in July.
This comes after months of rumours that William and Harry had entirely fallen out over the affair, after it was said the brothers had already weathered rocky territory thanks to William’s rumoured dislike of Harry’s match with Meghan.