Today’s Karl Stefanovic slams Prince Harry’s $20 million tell-all memoir

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·Lifestyle & Entertainment producer
·3-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

Today host Karl Stefanovic took a brutal swing at Prince Harry while discussing his recently announced tell-all memoir, which will be published next year.

Karl and his co-host Allison Langdon were joined by Today’s LA correspondent Sam Rubin, who reported that the Duke of Sussex was paid an advance of $20 million for the autobiography.

Karl Stefanovic and his co-host Allison Langdon on Today.
Karl asked if Prince Harry will be telling his own story or his wife Meghan Markle’s. Photo: Channel Nine

Speaking about the book, which is believed to cover Harry’s life in the Royal Family as well as Megxit, Karl asked: “Is it really going to be his story or Meghan Markle’s?”

The entertainment reporter noted that it will be interesting to see what Harry includes in his autobiography as Meghan would likely choose to write her own explosive memoir in the future.

“That's an interesting question because you don't want to preclude Meghan’s own book deal,” he replied. “I suspect it will be more of his story and maybe how they felt.”

RELATED

Karl was clearly unimpressed with the royal’s latest venture, saying: “It doesn't serve him well to be anti-media and to go and do exclusive deals and write memoirs that invite only more criticism.”

Allison was also displeased with the news, remarking that both Harry and Meghan originally left the UK to live a “quieter life”.

“I reckon neither of them can live without the media attention,” she said. “They both thrive on it and they both need it.”

“The poor Queen,” Karl added. “It just goes on and on.”

News broke on Tuesday morning that Prince Harry was writing a “wholly truthful” memoir, which will be a "first-hand account” of his life so far.

In a statement, the 36-year-old said: "I'm writing this not as the prince I was born but as the man I have become.

“I've worn many hats over the years, both literally and figuratively, and my hope that in telling my story - the highs and lows, the mistakes, the lessons learned - I can help show that no matter where we come from, we have more in common than we think.

“I'm deeply grateful for the opportunity to share what I've learned over the course of my life so far and excited for people to read a first-hand account of my life that's accurate and wholly truthful.”

Prince Harry.
Prince Harry says his memoir will detail the “highs and lows” of his life. Photo: Getty

While the book is currently untitled, it is being written alongside ghost-writer J.R. Moehringer and will be published by Penguin Random House in “late 2022”.

A blurb from the publisher stated: “In an intimate and heartfelt memoir from one of the most fascinating and influential global figures of our time, Prince Harry will share, for the very first time, the definitive account of the experiences, adventures, losses, and life lessons that have helped shape him.”

The description went on to say Harry’s book will cover his “lifetime in the public eye”, as well as “the joy he has found in being a husband and father”.

Never miss a thing. Sign up to Yahoo Lifestyle’s daily newsletter.

Or if you have a story idea, email us at lifestyle.tips@verizonmedia.com.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting