Kate Middleton's children didn't visit their mother in hospital during her two-week stay following abdominal surgery last month.
The Princess of Wales left hospital on Monday, and it was the first time Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis saw her in person after the surgery.
"I don’t think she wanted to make more of a big thing of it than it already was. They’ll be rallying round in their own way and helping to look after her," royal biographer Ingrid Seward revealed to People.
Another royal insider told Page Six that Kate and her husband Prince William wanted to "shield" the three children "to prevent worry", with the family staying connected via FaceTime.
Yet another source told Entertainment Tonight that the parents also wanted to make sure the children's "routine wasn’t disrupted".
Apparently, children aren't generally allowed as visitors at the London Clinic in order to keep infections low.
King Charles did manage to visit Kate while he was also staying at the clinic for his own surgery for an enlarged prostate.
The Princess of Wales is expected to recover at Windsor Castle. It's still unclear at this stage what the surgery was for, however, it's understood that it wasn't cancer-related.
A statement released by Kensington Palace said Kate hoped the public would "understand her wish that her personal medical information remains private".
It's believed that she will likely be advised to recuperate for two to three months and won't return to official duties until she has medical clearance – this will likely be after Easter. Prince William has also taken some time off to assist his wife during this time.
Never miss a thing. Sign up to Yahoo Lifestyle’s daily newsletter.
Or if you have a story idea, email us at email@example.com.