Princess Beatrice has had to cancel her highly-anticipated nuptials as the coronavirus pandemic stretches on more than a month after it first hit the UK.
The royal’s wedding to Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi was scheduled for May 29 at St James’s Palace in London but has now been cancelled entirely as lockdown measures intensify.
Originally the lavish reception at Buckingham Palace was axed as the virus ruled out large social gatherings, as Beatrice’s mother Sarah Ferguson confirmed last month.
At that time it was understood an intimate wedding between the pair and close relations would go ahead.
Now, however, it seems the entire thing has been called off, with the couple confirming the happy day has been postponed indefinitely.
“There are no plans to switch venues or hold a bigger wedding,” a spokesperson told People. “They aren’t even thinking about their wedding at this time.”
“There will come a time to rearrange, but that’s not yet.”
Royal reeling fro coronavirus
Beatrice is not the only royal to be impacted by the coronavirus pandemic.
Prince Charles and Camilla both caught and fought the virus last month, while the Queen and Prince Phillip were forced to retreat to Sandringham.
Meanwhile, Princess Eugenie’s father-in-law is battling the virus, reported to be in a ‘serious but stable’ condition.
It is yet another blow to Princess Beatrice’s planned wedding day, however.
Initially the nuptials were somewhat overshadowed by her father’s headline-grabbing friendship with the disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein.
Prince Andrew gave a disastrous interview with BBC Newsnight in which he said he did not regret being friends with Epstein - who killed himself in prison while awaiting trial for sexual offences.
He stepped back from royal duties in November last year, and since then, Beatrice announced plans for a wedding on a much smaller scale than her sister’s grand Windsor affair.