Cryptic comment from Charles raises concerns for Prince Philip

Kristine Tarbert
Senior Lifestyle & Entertainment Producer
Prince Charles spoke during a visit to South Yorkshire which was hit by floods earlier this year. Photo: Getty

Prince Philip is being “very well looked after” in hospital, according to his son Prince Charles.

Buckingham Palace confirmed on Friday that 98-year-old Prince Philip had been admitted to hospital over a ‘pre-existing’ condition.

During a visit to South Yorkshire on Monday, Charles was asked about his father's health and he replied: "He's being looked after very well in hospital."

“At the moment that's all we know...,” he said, before adding a rather cryptic comment, “...When you get to that age things don't work so well.”

The palace has been quick to clarify the admission to King Edward VII Hospital in London was a “precautionary measure” and not an emergency one.

Prince Charles has given an update on his father Prince Philip. Photo: Getty

But after the Duke spent his fourth night in hospital, fans have shared their concerns over his wellbeing.

“What is really going on?” one person asked on Twitter.

While another wrote: “Get well very soon. We are praying for you.”

Prince Philip in hospital

The husband of the monarch was taken to the King Edward VII Hospital in London for observation from the royal estate in Norfolk on Friday.

“The Duke of Edinburgh travelled from Norfolk this morning to the King Edward VII Hospital in London for observation and treatment in relation to a pre-existing condition,” a statement released on the day read.

“The admission is a precautionary measure, on the advice of his Royal Highness’ doctor.”

The news came as the extended royal family attended the traditional intimate Christmas gathering at Buckingham Palace last week.

Philip continues to be treated in the London hospital while the Queen travelled up to Norfolk, according to The Sun, where she and the family will spend Christmas at the Sandringham Estate as per tradition.

The 98-year-old is in hospital over a 'pre-existing' condition. Photo: Getty

Philip’s declining health

In 2017, Prince Philip retired from public life and he now spends much of his time in Norfolk.

It was revealed in 2018 that he battled through a cracked rib during Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan's wedding.

The royal was said to have suffered the injury days before the ceremony after falling in the bath - six weeks after he underwent hip replacement surgery.

A royal insider said at the time: “The Duke is not a fan of showering and prefers to bathe.

“But he's a determined man and nothing was going to stop him attending nor would he take any kind of walking aid.”

Philip went under the knife on April 4 2018 at King Edward VII Hospital in central London for his hip replacement and he subsequently spent nine days on bed rest before being allowed to return home.

With additional reporting by Bang Showbiz.

Got a story tip or just want to get in touch? Email us at lifestyle.tips@verizonmedia.com.

Want more lifestyle and celebrity news? Follow Yahoo Lifestyle on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.