Dutch royals apologise over 'scandalous' COVID holiday

Sarah Carty
·Features & Style Editor
·3-min read

The King and Queen of The Netherlands have taken to their social media account to post a video apologising for their recent family holiday.

In The Netherlands the government has asked the public to avoid non-essential travel as the coronavirus pandemic continues.

Dutch King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima take part in the recording of a personal video message in which the king discusses the cancellation of their holiday to Greece, on October 21, 2020 in The Hague. - The Dutch king and queen said they will cut short a holiday in Greece on October 17 after facing criticism for taking a vacation when the Netherlands is under a partial coronavirus lockdown.
The King and Queen of The Netherlands have taken to their social media account to post a video apologising for their recent family holiday. Photo: Getty Images

King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima of the Netherlands decided to take their children to Greece last week, but just one day after their arrival they were forced to release a statement saying they would ‘abandon their vacation’ after public outrage.

"We have seen people's reactions to media reports. And they are intense, and they have affected us." the coule said in a statement.

It’s believed the king and queen returned as soon as possible to The Netherlands with one of their children, leaving their eldest daughters, Princess Catharina-Amalia, 16, and Princess Alexia, 15 in Greece until their could secure another flight home.

Now, the couple have taken to Instagram and Twitter to upload a video from their home, apologising for their actions.

"It hurts to have betrayed your trust in us,” King Willem-Alexander says in the video.

"Even though the trip was in line with the regulations, it was very unwise not to take into account the impact of the new restrictions on our society.

"Our own decision to return was made with the realisation that we should not have gone."

He continued, saying that the couple understand it is a difficult time for everybody in The Netherlands.

“A time of lack, limitations and worries. From fear, anger and insecurity too. We have heard the poignant stories in many encounters, in person and digitally. We feel connected with you and with all those people who have been directly or indirectly affected."

“We will continue to work with you to get the coronavirus under control. So that everyone in our country can then resume normal life as soon as possible.

RELATED:

It’s not the first time the royal have come under fire during the coronavirus pandemic.

People were quick to comment on the video, with one person writing: “Your government is shouting that we should stay at home as much as possible and what is our king doing? Enjoy a holiday to Greece. For the king is more powerful than the people.”

“Scandalous. Only in The Netherlands,” another wrote.

Others sympathetic, with one person saying: “I don't know why the king can't go on vacation and the rest are. Leave them alone.”

“Respect for the king and queen to return and make this movie in which they also show themselves to be vulnerable and to be human with the best of intentions. Long live the king,” another wrote.

“What nonsense this man just lets go on vacation, people are just too jealous,” a fan of the royals wrote, with another saying: “You are only human, I understand.”

Back in August, there was uproar after they were pictured not practicing social distancing while on holiday in Greece.

"A photo appeared in the media in which we didn't keep enough social distance. In the spontaneity of the moment, we didn't pay enough attention to that. Of course, we should have,” they said in a statement.

Click here to sign up to our daily newsletter to get all the latest news and hacks. Or if you have a story tip, email us at lifestyle.tips@verizonmedia.com.