Mum finds sewing needle in baby son's nappy

Lifestyle Team

Just weeks after a spate of needles were found in fruit purchased in Australia, a British mum has spoken of her horror at discovering a sewing needle in her toddler son’s nappy.

Kayleigh Smith, 30, was stunned when she found the razor-sharp object inside the Pampers nappy of her two-year-old son, Freddie.

She had only just put the nappy on the tot when he started coming up to her “clearly in discomfort” at home.

Kayleigh Smith, 30, was stunned when she found a needle inside the Pampers nappy of her two-year-old son Freddie. Picture: MEGA
Kayleigh Smith, 30, was stunned when she found a needle inside the Pampers nappy of her two-year-old son Freddie. Picture: MEGA
Shocked to find the needle ‘protruding’

When the full-time mum of three took it off she was shocked to find the needle protruding from the leg cuff and red scratch marks on her son’s thigh.

“I was absolutely gobsmacked and felt sick to the stomach,” Kayleigh, from the UK, said.

“I usually shop at Aldi for them but I went my local shop this time around.”

The scary find comes after a spate of incidents in which customers found needles in their fruit. Picture: MEGA
The scary find comes after a spate of incidents in which customers found needles in their fruit. Picture: MEGA

“I had put the nappy on Freddie and within minutes he came over me tugging at his nappy. Something was clearly bothering him,” she explained.

“Out the corner of my eye I could see this thing glistening. I pulled the nappy off and there it was.

“I had to unpick it out of the nappy. It was in the Velcro leg cuff – I was mortified.”

“To me, it looks like it’s been threaded through the nappy. Obviously, you don’t know whether it’s clean or dirty.”

The frighteningly sharp object was threaded through the elastic portion of the nappy. Picture: MEGA
The frighteningly sharp object was threaded through the elastic portion of the nappy. Picture: MEGA

“It could have been much worse and it was lucky it didn’t draw blood although it left a nasty red scratch mark,” Kayleigh said.

“I contacted the shop and they quickly removed it off shelves, they were just as shocked as me.

“I then got in touch with Pampers and they are sending a courier to collect the nappy and doing a batch check.”

Warning to other parents

Kayleigh and her partner Ryan Jakeman, 32, a machine technician, want all families to be on alert.

“I’m just urging all parents to thoroughly check nappies before they put them on,” she said.

“I’ve been a mum 10 years and you don’t ever expect this to happen.

“It could have done a lot of damage if he was sat a bit differently or it was in a different place it could have gone straight into his body.

“I don’t even want to think about what could have happened.”

While Freddie has recovered well, Kayleigh is left traumatised by the thought of how much worse it could have been. Picture: MEGA
While Freddie has recovered well, Kayleigh is left traumatised by the thought of how much worse it could have been. Picture: MEGA

A spokesperson for Pampers said the company was investigating the incident.

“We are sorry to hear about this family’s experience: we are in discussion with the family in order to understand what happened,” the rep said.

“We have requested that the product and packaging are returned for full investigation as soon as possible.

“Until this is done, we’re unable to provide specific comments on this case.

“Our number one priority is to ensure that our products are completely safe for babies to use.

“Our nappies are made to very high standards and we have strict quality checks in place at every stage of manufacturing process.

“We encourage parents who have any questions or comments about our products to get in touch with us.”

Got a story tip? Send it to tips@oath.com

Want more lifestyle and celebrity news? Follow Yahoo Lifestyle on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Or sign up to our daily newsletter here.