Weight loss stories: How I lost 48kgs

November 29, 2012, 4:46 pmYahoo!7

From a size 22 to a size 8, this weight loss success story is truly inspirational.

Eating Strategies

Before and after - a dramatic difference!

A diet and lifestyle overhaul radically changed Zakiee Labib’s life

Before: 108 KG After: 60KG

Fast Food Heaven may not appear on any map, but it’s how Labib refers to her suburb. Even before she became pregnant in 2005, the 168cm interior designer ate out or hit a drive-through at least four nights a week – pushing her weight over 90kg.

A year and a half after giving birth to her first child, Labib was still a size 22. With her busy job and a new baby, “I didn’t feel as if I had time to focus on myself,” she says.

Making the diet change

Until her daughter was 18 months, Labib believed her poor diet, low energy and stubborn weight were just part of being a new mum. But as her daughter grew, Labib couldn’t deny the truth. “I finally took a hard look at my health,” she says.

After realising she was eating twice the recommended servings of most foods, Labib replaced fast food with healthy, low-kilojoule recipes, like wholemeal pasta loaded with vegies.

She also dusted off her cross trainer and hopped on for half an hour a day while her daughter slept. As she became fitter, she added more resistance.

In June 2007, Labib was down to 84kg when she learnt she was pregnant again. With her doctor’s approval, she kept an eye on her portions, used the cross trainer, walked and did prenatal yoga three or four times a week until her son was born in February 2008.

Three weeks later, with her GP’s permission, she was working out again. She added running, strength training and kickboxing to her routine, and the number on the scale fell below 90 by April. Come August 2010, it dropped to 60.

“This is the least I’ve ever weighed as an adult!” she says. “I’ve completely transformed.”

The reward for losing weight

Labib replaced her maternity wardrobe with size-8 outfits, including the shorts and slim-fitting dresses she used to avoid. And she has become an avid exerciser.

“I can run 8km and still have energy to run around with my kids at the park. Being active makes me happy.”

Zakiee Labib's top diet tips

• Drive with a snack:“I make sure I have a healthy snack, like an apple, in the car.”
    • Go to a class: “Group workout classes help push you. It’s a silent competition.”
    • Eliminate temptation: “I bring only my plate of food to the table to avoid eating more than I need.”

1. Leigh10:51am Wednesday 01st January 2014 ESTReport Abuse

Great commitment Labib, be sure to have a backstop/plan B for times when you are unable to exercise so rigorously. Eat For keeps helped Jaz Sciascia with her nutrition after her stomach stapling operation.She has gone from 220 kg plus down to 86 kg - nearly 60% of her original weight has been lost. Getting the right advice was crucial, and Jaz also has a really good regular exercise routine. An incredible result which has required a sustained effort.

2. Tom Whatson09:37pm Sunday 02nd December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

yep new skinny one bit like a greyhound older version quite and feminine.

3. Brittany08:57pm Sunday 02nd December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Good on her, I will be honest though, she would look better with a bit more meat on her! It's good that she is keeping fit, but so many women nowadays become consumed by their bodies and fitness, borderline obsessive! And trust me, I should know! You really need to find a healthy balance

4. Bill08:41pm Sunday 02nd December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Bozo Boson and his unfactual comment

5. The The07:41pm Sunday 02nd December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Not true boson - many can attest to diet alone being the answer!! I lost 20kg by just cutting out Sugar and Refined processed foods - flour, pasta, rice, bread, patotoes - low carb is the way to go!! I didn't have to lift a finger and felt absolutely amazing with highter energy levels, never feeling bloated or lethargic!!! So :P

6. LucyB05:16pm Sunday 02nd December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

What an awesome effort! Great to see someone take on a healthy way to get fit...instead of starving! Well done. What a pretty woman before and after! :)

7. manda02:15pm Sunday 02nd December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Good on her for :) I lost a 10kg while eating an apple a day and walking for 2 hours 3 days out of the week. I have now cut soft drinks, juices, sugary processed foods, salty foods out of my diet and I watch my sodium intake. Water with lemon juice squeezed in it is great and refreshing. Also adding garlic and cayenne pepper to your evening meals work wonders for your inner bod :D

8. Bill01:06pm Sunday 02nd December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

I lost 15kg after using go whizz

9. Glib12:59pm Sunday 02nd December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

99.999999% is die to regular cardiovascular exercise. Diet changes are negligible.

10. allen11:39am Sunday 02nd December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Vigorous obsessive exercise is something that always ends eventually, but the amount that is eaten does not. Boom, back comes the ballooning figure. Losing weight is about a good diet, exercise is about staying healthy. Tip: cut out sugar, processed foods, and especially soft drinks also fruit juices. Get a veggie garden going.

Get Social