How I lost 62 kgs

September 11, 2012, 3:18 pm Hannah Delaney Yahoo!7

Obese since her early twenties, Heidi Wilson's motivation to lose 62 kg came in the form of a tiny person: her grandson Cooper.

Eating Strategies

Heidi Wilson's dramatic weight loss

Name: HEIDI WILSON Age: 42 years old Works at: Yarra Rangers Council

My life before weight loss

I am happily married, have three children and one grandson. I had been obese since having my three children in my late teens - early 20's. I put on at least 20 kg with each pregnancy and never really lost it.

Before I started my weight loss journey, I was very unfit and unhealthy: I weighed 124kg. I couldn't even walk 100 metres without having to stop to catch my breath. I knew that if I kept up with this lifestyle I wouldn't have the chance to watch my first grandson Cooper grow up to be an adult. I could not do that to him.

How I started losing weight

I was inspired to start exercising by my very special friend Danni, who even though she suffers a back problem had started exercising at a boot camp. So on the August 1, 2011, I started going to Intensity Health and Fitness in Emerald, Victoria.

I can still remember the first day I went to training: I was so scared when I walked down those steps.

My palms were sweating and my heart racing and I hadn't even done any exercise yet! At this stage it was fight or flight: I could fight the fear of exercise or run away there and then.

Thank goodness I chose to fight.

I fought off 62 kilograms in 10 months and have loved every bit of the journey so far.

My personal trainer

My trainer Julie Hoffmann ('Hoffy') is my inspiration and mentor and without her I wouldn't be here today. She has helped to transform me both physically and mentally. She believed in me from the start, when I didn't even believe in myself.

She has taken me from merely existing to a life that I can't wait to wake up for in the mornings. I have gone from doing absolutely nothing in my life, to a life that is that full of excitement, friendship and happiness.

Julie taught me that losing weight - and changing my life - wasn't going to be easy, but it would be worth it.

10 months of weight loss

My weight loss journey

I was then introduced to Michelle Bridges' 12 Week Body Transformation program (12WBT) and in round 3, 2011 I lost 24 kgs including pre-season (the warm-up introduction stage of the 12WBT).

In total I completed three rounds of 12WBT. My long term goal was to lose half of my body weight (62 kgs) and I achieved this at the 10 month mark of my journey. My goal was to place in the Top 20 finalists Australia wide. But when I finished my final round in May 2012, I actually won overall, which today is still mind-blowing.

I had never succeeded at a weight loss journey before but it taught me to take control of my health and fitness and to take full responsibility for what I was doing or not doing to my body. It took tremendous courage and strength to re-evaluate my life, to identify where I had been going wrong. With the support of Hoffy, Michelle Bridges, all my wonderful family and team mates at Intensity, I have been able to switch directions and turn my life around.

How weight loss has changed my life

Today my life has changed so much. I eat clean, I don't eat any processed foods and I train daily.

This is not an effort anymore - it's just part of my daily routine like brushing my teeth. I've inspired my daughter to do the same and she has lost over 40kg - I am so proud of her achievements.

Heidi's advice

Surround yourself with positive people on the same journey, eat clean, train mean and whatever you do give 100% and be consistent. But the biggest thing of all is to believe in yourself.

See more of Heidi's story on her weight loss blog

1. SHIASTA SHEROZ11:57pm Sunday 22nd December 2013 ESTReport Abuse

y do they write my scale weight was this and that? scale weights r not accurate as most sports people weigh more than 100kgs but r all musculine........the important thing is to measure your waist

2. Ronnie10:26am Wednesday 30th January 2013 ESTReport Abuse

Thats fantastic! i wish i could do this too. I have to have both knees replaced sometime down the track (thats all i was told,not when that might be)as both are word down,have arthritis all also arthritis in my hips. ive been walking and doing exercises in the pool for just 2 months now but no changes as yet. So congrats on what you have achieved .

3. Neil03:49pm Monday 24th September 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Have to comment on the negative 'knockers'. Pity you feel the need to comment this way on anothers afforts to help themselves. Are you so perfect. Yup we are all a product of what we do/consume/don't do....... yaddy yah. If we attempt and succeed at bettering ourselves we can be prouder than the ignorant that do not have that same issue to correct. Based on comments like some of the above, it might be the personality that could do with the work.

4. Kenneth06:42am Monday 17th September 2012 ESTReport Abuse

if you try "intermittent fasting", that'll help with weight loss. not only you lose weight, but your body will be much more healthy. your body will have time to use its energy to get rid of toxins, instead of using its time to keep on digesting the food you constantly put in your mouth

5. Rebecca09:27pm Sunday 16th September 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Well done. What an inspiration you are. I have just started my journey and was pleased to read your success.......Thank you for posting it. ;-)

6. 2 10
    alienconcepts08:59pm Sunday 16th September 2012 ESTReport Abuse

the inspirational people are the little noticed ones who did not give into obese temptation in the first place .

7. Sunshine07:26pm Sunday 16th September 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Heidi, well done. I've just had to comment on Stevey's post. (in his post) (He should be charged a carbon tax for wasting so much valuable oxygen!!!) Seriously Heidi, & Jess, keep up the positive attitude and lifestyle choices. You will get the last laugh in eventually.

8. wanderer02:13pm Sunday 16th September 2012 ESTReport Abuse

go work in the rice paddies

9. Jess01:34pm Sunday 16th September 2012 ESTReport Abuse

What a great inspiration! Starting on my own personal weight loss journey this week with over 80kgs to lose it shows that it can be done. This is going to be printed and put in my bedroom so I can look at it every day and know that I can do it to.

2 Replies
  10. Chalkie01:15pm Sunday 16th September 2012 ESTReport Abuse

That is an awesome achievement.....Well Done!

Get Social