SALMON BURGER with grilled cos heart + lemon yoghurt sauceINGREDIENTS
+ 340g salmon fillet
+ 1 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
+ ⅓ cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs that are larger than traditional crumbs)
+ 1 eggwhite
+ 2 tsp lemon zestMETHOD
1. Cut salmon into pieces and pulse in a food processor for 1 minute. Combine in a medium bowl with remaining ingredients and form into 4 patties.
2. Grill for 4 to 5 minutes, flip, then grill for another 4 to 5 minutes. Top each patty with ⅛ grilled cos heart and 2 tablespoons lemon yoghurt sauce.MAKES 4 SERVINGS
Per serving: 690kJ, 6g fat (1g sat), 6g carbs, 1g fibre, 21g protein, 295mg sodium
TURKEY BURGER with grilled peachesINGREDIENTS
+ 340g ground turkey
+ 2 tbs Dijon mustard
+ 2 tbs finely minced shallot
+ 2 tbs chopped fresh parsleyMETHOD
1. Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and form into 4 patties. Grill for 5 to 6 minutes, then flip and grill for another 5 to 6 minutes, or until burgers reach an internal temperature of 75°C.
2. To serve, top each patty with half a sliced grilled peach.MAKES 4 SERVINGS
Per serving: 711kJ, 9g fat (2g sat), 8g carbs, 1g fibre, 17g protein, 240mg sodium
BLACK BEAN BURGER with balsamic onion jamINGREDIENTS
+ 1½ cups salt-reduced black beans, rinsed and drained
+ ½ yellow capsicum, sliced
+ ⅓ cup roughly chopped red onion
+ ¾ cup shredded carrot
+ ⅓ cup dry quick-cook oats
+ 2½ tsp canola oil
+ ½ tsp cuminMETHOD
1. Put all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until combined, 2 to 3 minutes. Form into 4 patties.
2. Mist a piece of aluminum foil with cooking spray and place foil on the barbecue. Cook patties on foil for 5 minutes, flip, then cook 5 minutes more.
3. To serve, top each patty with 3 tablespoons balsamic onion jam.MAKES 4 SERVINGS
Per serving: 711kJ, 5.5g fat (0g sat), 25g carbs, 6g fibre, 7g protein, 70mg sodium
LAMB BURGER with grilled guacamoleINGREDIENTS
+ 100g lamb mince
+ ½ onion, finely chopped
+ 1 tsp ground cumin and coriander
+ ½ bunch of mixed herbs (think parsley, mint, basil and oregano)
+ 1 egg lightly beaten (optional)
+ 1 tbs Dijon mustard
+ 1 cup fine polenta
+ salt and pepper, to tasteMETHOD
1. Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl using wet hands, and form into 6 patties.
2. Lightly rub mustard over each burger then roll in polenta.
3. Grill for 5 to 6 minutes, then flip and grill for another 5 to 6 minutes, or until burgers reach an internal temperature of 70°C (or 75°C for well done).
4. To serve, top each patty with 2 tablespoons grilled guacamole.MAKES 6 SERVINGS
Per serving: 926kJ, 11g fat (2.7g sat), 21g carbs, 2.3g fibre, 7.2g protein, 111mg sodium
CHICKEN BURGER with strawberry sauceINGREDIENTS
+ 3 tsp vegetable oil
+ ½ medium onion, finely chopped
+ 2 tbs brown sugar
+ 2 cups strawberries, sliced
+ ½ tbs balsamic vinegar
+ ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
+ 1 tbs fresh mint, chopped
+ 1 medium carrot, peeled
+ 1 medium zucchini, peeled
+ 450g lean ground chicken breast
+ ½ cup breadcrumbs
+ 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
+ 1 egg, lightly beaten
+ ⅓ cup parsley, chopped
+ 6 flatbreads or naan
+ 1 cup rocket or baby spinachMETHOD
1. Warm 1 teaspoon vegetable oil in a pan over medium heat. Add onion and saute until soft, about 4 minutes. Add brown sugar and continue cooking for 2 minutes. Add strawberries, balsamic vinegar and black pepper; cook for 1 minute. Stir in mint and remove from heat.
2. Preheat barbecue to medium. Using a grater or mandolin, shred carrot and zucchini, then chop into small pieces. In a large bowl, lightly mix shredded vegetables, ground chicken, breadcrumbs, Worcestershire sauce, egg, parsley and salt and pepper to taste. Form into 6 patties and brush with remaining vegetable oil.3. Place burgers on barbecue and cook for 4 to 5 minutes per side or until internal temperature reaches 70°C. Meanwhile, toast bread for
1 to 2 minutes per side.
4. Line flatbreads with rocket, add burgers and top with strawberry sauce, then fold bread over burgers.MAKES 6 SERVINGS
Per serving: 1620 kJ, 8g fat (2g sat), 54g carbs, 7g fibre, 27g protein, 497mg sodium
LENTIL QUINOA BURGERS with sauteed mushroomsINGREDIENTS
+ ½ cup quinoa
+ 1 can lentils, rinsed
+ ½ cup plain breadcrumbs
+ 1 egg, lightly beaten
+ 2 gloves garlic, chopped
+ 2 tsp cumin powder
+ ⅓ cup coriander
+ juice of half a lemon
+ ½ cup walnut pieces
+ 1 tbs butter
+ 225g brown mushrooms, sliced
+ ¼ cup dry red wine
+ 2 tsp vegetable oil
+ 6 wholegrain bunsMETHOD
1. In a saucepan, combine quinoa and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil and simmer about 10 minutes. Let quinoa cool.
2. In a bowl, combine half the lentils, breadcrumbs, egg, garlic, cumin, coriander, lemon juice, cooked quinoa and salt and pepper to taste. Place in a food processor or blender; process until well combined. Add remaining lentils and walnuts; pulse until they’re incorporated. Form into 6 patties.
3. Preheat barbecue to medium. Meanwhile, melt butter in pan over medium heat; add sliced mushrooms and saute for 5 minutes, stirring regularly. Stir in wine and cook for another 5 minutes.
4. Brush burgers with oil and cook for 4 minutes per side. Toast buns for 2 minutes. Serve burgers on buns and top with sauteed mushrooms.MAKES 6 SERVINGS
Per serving: 1863kJ, 15g fat (3g sat), 62g carbs, 13g fibre, 19g protein, 305mg sodium