Woman hospitalised after drinking too much bubble tea

Various Bubble Tea in a plastic cups with drink straws
Bubble tea contains balls of tapioca flour. Photo Getty

The bubble tea phenomenon has swept the world by storm, but one young girl in China has run into serious trouble after drinking too much.

The 14-year-old was taken to hospital after suffering stomach aches and constipation, when a CT scan showed something very unusual, according to Asia One.

Inside her abdomen were over one hundred balls, which they soon worked out to be the tapioca or ‘boba’ balls that give bubble tea its charm.

The girl, who wasn’t believed when she said she’d only had one bubble tea drink recently, was sent home with laxatives and instructed to give the drinks a break.

Photo: Shaoxing News
Photo: Shaoxing News

It may surprise you to know that bubble tea has actually been around since the 80s, when it was created in Taiwan.

It only became popular in Australia however, about five years ago, despite it first arriving on our shores in 2009.

Got a story tip or just want to get in touch? Email us at lifestyle.tips@verizonmedia.com

Want more lifestyle and celebrity news? Follow Yahoo Lifestyle on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Or sign up to our daily newsletter here.