Sophie Monk: Why I Fell For An Older Man

January 28, 2011, 12:00 am Sara Grant whomagazine

“He's a lot older than me, but I get along with older people," Monk says

Movie Review: Jimmy s Place

Sophie Monk announced her engagement to Jimmy Esebag on Jan. 25

Newly engaged Sophie Monk has defended her relationship with a man almost 20 years her senior, exclusively telling WHO that she plans to dismiss any negative public commentary about their whirlwind union.

Following a three-month courtship, Monk, 31, recently became engaged to the man she describes as her “soul partner”, Beverly Hills based businessman Jimmy Esebag, 50. The couple has enjoyed a long friendship that began when Esebag — chairman of United Licensing Group, which owns the rights to the Playboy Brand — asked Monk to be the face of a business venture.

“We’ve been friends for a long time. We’ve only been together in a relationship three months but this feels different,” the Gold Coast-raised Monk reveals in this week's WHO magazine. “He's a lot older than me, but I get along with older people. Jimmy is so worldly, he's French, and I want to be with someone I can learn from. I know people are going to make remarks about us, but it doesn't bother me."

The engagement marks Monk’s second — in December 2006 she accepted a marriage proposal from Good Charlotte guitarist Benji Madden, but the relationship broke up in early 2008, before she made it down the aisle.

“When I was with Benji, he had achieved what he’d wanted and I felt like I’d just got here (to Los Angeles) and was just getting started,” says the slim star, who has been based in Hollywood as a working actress for six years. “Men get very possessive with me. That’s why I was surprised when Benji started dating Paris Hilton. I was like, ‘Of all the people! You’re worried about me doing a kissing scene and you date someone who doesn’t wear underwear?”

Monk went on to date TV presenter Ryan Seacrest, Entourage star Kevin Connolly and Hollywood plastic surgeon John Diaz, who she caught cheating on her in July.

Yet this time around, “it just feels right,” says the former Bardot singer, who is planning a long engagement. “When you know, you know. I've never had someone balance me out in a relationship before. They've either been workaholics too, or I needed to make the money for them. With Jimmy, I just love everything about him.”

Esebag, who has been married before, “balances me,” says Monk, who describes her fiance as her best friend. “I’m relaxing and enjoying the moment. He’s given me a new perspective on life.”

Tomorrow in WHO.com: Sophie Monk's cosmetic surgery regrets — "I should have said no, but I trusted the doctor" - and for the full story on Sophie Monk, including why she got too thin, pick up a copy of this week's WHO magazine, on sale Friday, Jan. 28.

1. Steve H03:30am Thursday 08th December 2011 ESTReport Abuse

$$$$$$$$$

2. Steve H03:07am Thursday 08th December 2011 ESTReport Abuse

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

3. teuleni11:12am Wednesday 02nd February 2011 ESTReport Abuse

omg all of you are such @#$% holes and for every ones information her reality show is bout to hit and please every one in america loves her its jst a pitty her home country is full of disturbingly cant be happy for any one else @#$% holes ! you make me sick its ppl like you that cause eating disorders!

4. Mandy08:05am Tuesday 01st February 2011 ESTReport Abuse

I suppose she will do anything to stay in the headlines - at any cost

5. Mudargun07:25pm Monday 31st January 2011 ESTReport Abuse

Nobody else wnated her in the USA she took the only offer there was or she would of had to come back to Australia broke and sorry so much for all the fame she was suppose to make in the USA

6. Kirsty04:36pm Monday 31st January 2011 ESTReport Abuse

Did she get an eye job done? They're shape doesn't look natural. They are rather cat like.

7. Renee08:35pm Sunday 30th January 2011 ESTReport Abuse

he looks like john english, it is the eyes

8. keith06:26pm Saturday 29th January 2011 ESTReport Abuse

Sophie....... nobody is interrested in which old degenerate is playing " hide the sausage ' with you

9. jimeye01:48pm Saturday 29th January 2011 ESTReport Abuse

when are people going to learn beauty is just skin deep its whats in the heart that matters. we all get old but beauty is in the eye of the beholder my man is 13 years older than me. I wouldnt swap him for the world. and guess what he dont have money either.

10. Bee12:51pm Saturday 29th January 2011 ESTReport Abuse

They haven't even celebrated their first wedding anniversary yet. Let's wait and see what happens when it's time for the silver wedding anniversary (25 years) ....